UNC rowing team ties for seventh in ACC Championships

UNC 3V8 rowing team

The UNC 3V8 rowing team earned gold at the Sunshine State Invitational in Sarasota, Fla., on April 8. Photo courtesy of UNC Athletic Department.

The North Carolina women’s rowing team capped off its 2018-19 season this weekend by placing seventh of nine teams at the ACC Championships at Lake Hartwell in Clemson, S.C., competing in events on both Friday and Saturday. Senior Maria Marroquin was named to the All-ACC second team, while Virginia captured its tenth consecutive ACC Championship.

At the preliminaries Friday, North Carolina competed in five events, earning one fifth place finish and four fourth places finishes. The fifth place finish came in the second varsity four, while the first varsity four, first varsity eight, second varsity eight and third varsity eight all earned fourth place.

Those finishes were not enough to earn the Tar Heels a spot in any of the grand finals on Saturday, but North Carolina had a strong showing in the petite finals.

The first varsity eight, second varsity eight and first varsity four all placed first in their respective petite finals, led respectively by Marroquin, senior Sara Zetterburg and junior Melanie Hussey. The second varsity eight beat Miami by nearly four seconds, while the first varsity eight and first varsity four edged Miami and Boston College for the win by about two seconds and six seconds, respectively.

In the third varsity eight, North Carolina placed second, finishing behind Boston College. In the second varsity four, the Tar Heels finished third of three teams behind Louisville and Notre Dame.

Senior Maria Marroquin was the only Tar Heel to be honored with an All-ACC team selection, being named to the All-ACC second team thanks to her performance in the first varsity eight.

Due to the outcomes of the preliminary events Friday, North Carolina did not have a spot in any of the grand championships events Saturday. However, the Tar Heels did net a few first place finishes in the petite finals, something the team can look to build upon for next season.

North Carolina was not able to capture a championship, but there is reason to think the program can improve going forward. Less than a quarter of the varsity team is made up of graduating seniors, leaving plenty of room for the team to grow in future seasons.

The ACC Championships marked the end of North Carolina’s 2018-2019 season. The Tar Heels will kick off their 2019-2020 season in the fall.

@JakeRichardDTH