It’s fall semester, people. You know what that means. More Med Deli, colorful clubs and acapella groups by the Pit. Also, grinding within the lavish hotel that is Davis Library, and of course, your regular ‘ole armed neo-Nazis brandishing the confederate flag throughout North Campus. 

It’s a new school year so let’s, I don’t know, bite the bullet. Take the plunge. Throw caution to the wind, and enjoy it. Face the music of our school, constantly buzzing in our ears and making us all wake up at ungodly hours to show up to class. Jump in—just do it.

Do you want to know why? Because it’s a privilege to attend this University—to attend any university, for that matter. We all contributed different amounts of effort to be here, but the point is that we’re all here

We’re fortunate to be able to stroll through the quad to go learn a new language, or to study in the library to finish the readings that our professors have already assigned (it’s only the first week, smh). 

We get to sit on the steps of Wilson and people watch, serve coffee to our peers and volunteer for our community. We can tutor our friends and expose ourselves to new subjects, cultures, ideas and backgrounds. 

We are so lucky. We are so — dare I say it again — privileged. Privileged to receive an education at the oldest public university in our country. 

It’s okay to be aware of those that need to be reminded of the realities in our society today. It's okay to acknowledge that courses need to be made more inclusive to different people. It's okay to recognize what food chains should be boycotted and establishments held accountable. 

In fact, it’s part of our privilege as students at this university to see such things and advocate for solutions, for change and for the uplifting of all voices in our communities.

This is my second semester as assistant opinion editor, and I am so proud to hold a position that encourages a platform for diverse voices and opinions. I want you to share what you think — to be respectful about it and to challenge or support the multitude of ideas that surround us today. 

I realize that this role comes with its own privilege. I am excited to work alongside opinion editor Devon Johnson and the rest of the Editorial Board. I embrace the opportunity to encourage more inclusivity and openness both during our Editorial Board meetings and among our audiences. That way the messages being produced each week truly represent the diversity of opinions on our campus. 

This year I will be listening to others, taking in feedback, leading conversations and writing more columns. I am thankful for these moments, which are a result of the privilege that being a student here has afforded me. 

Happy fall semester, everybody.