UNC volleyball falls to No. 3 Minnesota in three sets

Destiny Cox celebration volleyball vs fsu
First-year outside hitter Destiny Cox (1) prepares to strike the ball during the Wednesday, Nov. 21, 2018 game against FSU. UNC lost the game 3-0.

In front of a full student section, the North Carolina volleyball team (0-1) opened its season with a difficult ACC-Big Ten Challenge matchup against No. 3 Minnesota (1-0) in Carmichael Arena on Friday night. The Gophers won the match in dominating fashion, sweeping the Tar Heels in three sets.

Minnesota set the tone of the match early and silenced the rowdy UNC students, winning the first set 25-16. UNC couldn’t handle the Gophers’ attack as they earned 16 kills to UNC’s nine in the set. The Tar Heels also managed just a .065 hitting percentage.

The second set presented a glimmer of hope for the Tar Heels. Over halfway through the set, UNC held a 18-15 lead and had all of the momentum. Minnesota then called a timeout, and everything changed. The Gophers earned three straight points to tie the set. The two teams then traded points all the way up to a 22-22 score. 

Minnesota won the next two points to force set point and make the Tar Heels’ head coach Joe Sagula call a timeout to calm his team. It seemed to work, as UNC won the next two points to make it 24-24, thanks to an errant Minnesota serve and a Destiny Cox block. 

The two teams traded points again up to a 26-26 score. After a lengthy second set, the Golden Gophers pulled away in the end and won it 28-26, making the match score 2-0.

By the time the third set began, the Tar Heels were backed into a corner. The match was all but over with UNC needing to win three straight sets. At this point, the team was just looking to steal a set against one of the best teams in the country.

Minnesota didn't let the Tar Heels breath, however, as the Gophers won the third set in convincing fashion, 25-17, to seal the win.

Although UNC struggled against the Gophers, the team's underclassmen put up a solid fight.

Redshirt first-year Lauren Harrison led the way. She impressed in her first career game, recording nine kills. First-year Parker Austin also had an impressive debut, earning a team-high 10 kills.

The Tar Heels were still in the match until the end of the second set. The UNC crowd began to get back into the match as their team battled. 

However, the result of the second set seemed to take the wind out of the crowd's sails and forced the Tar Heels to have to win three straight sets, a difficult task against the No. 3 team in the country.

UNC is looking to improve on a 2018 season in which the team went 8-19 with a 4-14 mark in the ACC. This opening game against one of the top teams in the country was a difficult test, but should help Sagula find out what he has to work with this season. 

It doesn’t get any easier for the Tar Heels, as they have another ACC-Big Ten challenge matchup on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. against No. 5 Wisconsin. The Badgers were voted as the Big Ten favorites going into this season.

@matt_chilson