It was 1919 when the United States properly entered the stage of international politics. Woodrow Wilson stepped into the Paris Peace Conference with a set of principles which, up to this point, had never been seriously entertained on the world stage. 

These ideas came to define the world that we live in now ⁠— international institutions and law, principles of non-aggression, universal rights, self-determination and a belief in democracy. These come from the Wilsonian tradition, or the American belief in the superiority of our values. 

The world may had begun moving toward principles such as self-determination before the United States stepped onto the scene. England had fought a veritable war with the Arab world to end the slave trade in the 19th century, but Wilson was demanding an entirely new world order. His introduction of moral principles into the world of foreign policy, exemplified by his desire to abandon empires and do away with balance of power as a means of ensuring peace, were alien concepts to European ears. 

The American pursuit of Wilsonian principles has not been perfect; this much is obvious. Many criticize the role that the military plays in American foreign policy and the continuation of Wilson’s legacy in conflicts, such as those in Iraq and Afghanistan.

What is not in question is the debt which Americans owe to those who serve in our military. Those who have served, are serving and will serve in our armed forces deserve our respect. These are people, just like us, who have offered their lives to protect us. They will be reshaped and molded to the needs of our military, and they will keep the rest of us safe so that we are free to quarrel about whatever domestic problems are in the news. 

Large portions of our student body are well on their way to a life of public service. Those in our ROTC programs will most likely one day be a part of our Army, Navy and Air Force. Many UNC students are active duty, meaning that they are here getting their degree before they return to their station. Many of our students, professors and faculty are veterans. 

The student body should take note of this sacrifice, and be grateful for their classmates and colleagues who have served. Their willingness to take on a career of public service means that we may enjoy the benefits that our country affords us. This does not mean that one must shake the hand of every member of the military or veteran that they meet. However, when sitting next to these folks in lecture, one should take a moment to reflect on the sacrifices that made it possible for them to be a student here alongside you. 

Be grateful for their service, while keeping in mind that they are your equals, sharing the same hopes, dreams and problems that every other student at this university experiences.