Riding high after beating South Carolina, UNC football is ready to take on Miami

UNC football players run out of the tunnel before the Belk College Kick Off in Charlotte, NC on Saturday, August 31, 2019.
Defensive lineman Jahlil Taylor running out before the game against South Carolina. Next week, the Tar Heels prepare to take on the Miami Hurricanes in Chapel Hill.

After an upset win against South Carolina on Saturday, the North Carolina football team was in high spirits on Tuesday. Six players were made available to speak: Aaron Crawford, Myles Dorn, Charlie Heck, Chazz Surratt, Myles Wolfolk and Sam Howell. 

All touched on how the team was feeling after their first win — the first time UNC has opened with a win over a Power 5 team since 1997 — and what the team expects against Miami on Saturday night. 

"It was definitely special," Crawford said. "I think I had a moment of realization when the offense finally went up, and we always said, a couple years back, now we have enough points to win." 

A team leader on the defense, the normally stoic Crawford admitted to letting the moment overwhelm him during the final minutes of the game in Charlotte. 

"It really just caught up to me. It's the last ride — this time last year, I couldn't really walk," Crawford said. "This time last year, I was braced from ankle to thigh … It was a special moment for me knowing we not only closed it out as a team, but closed it out on defense." 

Looking ahead, several Tar Heels pointed out the skill players on Miami as a point for the defense to key in on. Against Florida, the Hurricanes amassed 214 receiving yards, with sophomore Brevin Jordan having 88 yards and a touchdown on five receptions. 

Wolfolk came up big against the Gamecocks for North Carolina secondary, catching two interceptions in the fourth quarter to ice the game — earning the new Tar Heel turnover belt in the process. Next Saturday, he'll have an opportunity to win it back against the Hurricanes. 

"They're Miami. They're the U. They always have players, and they're gonna have players every year," Wolfolk said. "They'll be explosive. They'll make quick throws and try to get you in space and try to make their players work, so we just have to do a great job of tackling in space. We have to do a great job finding their players and finding where they are on the field." 

On offense, first-year quarterback Howell will have his hands full against the Hurricanes. Starting linebacker Shaquille Quarterman was named to the All-ACC preseason team and All-ACC First Team in 2018. The senior totaled 82 tackles and six sacks last season. 

Howell acknowledged one of the things he needed to improve one was keeping control of the ball. 

"Just ball security. I think I put a couple balls on the ground on Saturday," Howell said. "So just staying in the pocket, keeping two hands on the football and sometimes staying on top of my drop. I was moving around when I didn't need to." 

Heck, a starting offensive lineman, said the Hurricanes like to send pressure against third downs. 

"Third down is their money down," Heck said. "They like to heat you up on third down. They like to bring a lot of exotic blitzes … they have three great linebackers, and they have a great D-Line and secondary. They're just flying to the ball every chance they get." 

North Carolina takes on Miami this Saturday for the Tar Heels home opener at 8 p.m. 

@bg_keyes