Diversity, drag and dancing: Halloqueer is an inclusive event coming to Durham

Halloqueer.jpg

Southern Fried Queer Pride (SFQP), an Atlanta-based queer and transgender, arts and advocacy organization, will be hosting Halloqueer at The Pinhook in Durham on Oct. 26. Photo courtesy of Necromanny Photography.

Southern Fried Queer Pride, an Atlanta-based queer and transgender, arts and advocacy organization, will be hosting Halloqueer at The Pinhook in Durham this Saturday. 

The show will feature performers such as Khxos and Stormie Daie. 

Taylor Alxndr, co-founder, executive director of SQFP and host of Halloqueer, said it is an event about bringing people together.

“We use dance parties to bring people together, showcase local artists and have a good time in a queer space,” they said. “I hope attendees feel they can be their authentic selves here.”

While SFQP throws dance parties regularly at The Pinhook, Halloqueer will be a night of several firsts.

“We typically do dance parties every month at The Pinhook, but we wanted to do something different for Halloween,” Alxndr said. “We’ve never had a holiday-themed show before. Also, this is the first time that a handful of our Atlanta performers will be coming up and performing for Durham. It’s gonna be a great mixing of different scenes.”

Khxos (@cruelworldofkhxos)

Khxos, a drag performer and musician, will be performing their new single, “T2MN” or “TALK TO ME NICE.”

“It’s a turn up,” Khxos said. “When people come here, I want them to be able to enjoy themselves. I want them to be able to see all this diversity in the South and support in the South.”

Khxos said Halloqueer serves as a reminder of community, especially to Black, trans and non-binary people such as themselves.

“I want people to know that, once they go back out there, that they’re not alone," Khxos said. "There are other people out there who are also in similar situations and circumstances. They aren’t alone.” 

They also emphasized the importance of the community supporting this event in particular.

“Support it," Khxos said. "Especially as far as having spaces where there are going to be a lot of queer POCs — support it. You can’t be around here bitching that you don’t have anything when you’re not supporting the people who are already here.”

Stormie Daie (@stormiedaie)

Stormie Daie is another drag artist who will be performing at the event.

“It’s a good time,” they said. “It’s also a fundraiser for Southern Fried Queer Pride. This is something that keeps an organization that is doing work to gather, connect and provide resources for my community. But, yes, it’s just a good time, honey.”

They also encouraged people who may not be very familiar with the drag and queer performance scene to attend as well.

“If you like music, you’ll probably like this,” they said. “If you like comedy, you’ll probably like this. It’s no different than going to an art show or a movie. Just come on by.”

Alxndr similarly highlighted the inclusivity of Halloqueer.

“Our events are so diverse and inclusive of everybody,” they said. “We’re a queer and trans, Black and brown, owned and ran organization, and we kind of operate with that politic, that our spaces should be fully inclusive of everybody.”

Halloqueer is a 21+ event. Music will start at 10 p.m., and the cover fee is a "give-what-you-can" sliding scale, $7-20.