University Libraries promotes Open Access Week, advocating for accessible knowledge

8746_0110_5years_hullf.jpg
Junior Biology Major Dipa Desai sifts through books in the stacks in the SILS Library in Manning Hall. The School of Information and Library Science just announced that it is offering a 5-year masters program. SILS is the number one information and library science school in the country.

Buttons pinned to backpacks across campus can share empowering, controversial and even humorous messages. Recently, buttons have been used to raise awareness about open access at UNC.

Open access allows all people to utilize the academic sources to which universities subscribe.

Open access is a cause championed by UNC's University Libraries. As a research institution, students and faculty at UNC require books and journals to conduct research, and to gain access to academic research journals, the University Libraries system pays for subscriptions to these resources.

A paywall in the system prevents individuals unaffiliated with the University from accessing these journals. This is where open access comes into play.

Open Access Week at UNC occurs from Oct. 21 to 25. Throughout Open Access Week, Anne Gilliland and Lynnee Argabright of the University Libraries Scholarly Communications Office drum up support for open access across campus.

“We have a fairly new website called Sustainable Scholarship, where you can learn more about different initiatives that the library is involved with in this area, and we have a section on how to take action,” Gilliland said.

Gilliland is also trying to raise awareness among faculty about the importance of open access. 

During Open Access Week, the University Libraries have hosted several events, including the IDEA Council Brown Bag Discussion: Access to Knowledge, which discussed the accessibility of knowledge and why some communities that should be involved have been left out. The discussion was facilitated by Gilliland and Argabright.

Music Cataloging Librarian Monica Figueroa and representatives from several specific UNC libraries attended the session.

“We are really happy to be celebrating Open Access Week,” Figueroa said. 

Gilliland said the theme of this year's Open Access Week is "open for whom."

Argabright listed research authors, research participants and those who are unable to read as groups who are affected by lack of access to research and knowledge. 

“We've been trying to think about it from the perspective of the pieces that are about access to knowledge," she said. 

Argabright said it is important to be thoughtful when advocating for open access. 

“What if in the effort to make something accessible, you don't make something available at all?" she said.

In addition to the Brown Bag Discussion, there was an information table set up on Oct. 23 with informational guides and buttons supporting open access at UNC. Argabright created these colorful buttons as a way to get students involved.