A 'smart new look': Ackland to unveil new branding at 'Zoom In!'

The Ackland Art Museum is a museum and academic unit of The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill located on S Columbia Street. Photo courtesy of Molly Sprecher. 

The Ackland Art Museum in Chapel Hill is celebrating the end of its 60th year anniversary. On Saturday, Oct. 5, the Ackland will be commemorating the past as well as preparing for a bold new future with “Zoom In! Introducing the Ackland Art Museum’s Smart New Look.” This event will be a visual premiere of the Ackland's new branding. 

The event will be held in two parts. The first will be a series of Spotlight Suppers being hosted around the area from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. The Zoom In! Premiere Party will immediately follow at the museum to reveal Ackland's new visual identity.

Eileen Hammond, the Ackland's communications assistant, said, “The Ackland Museum has a vision for where we are going, and that's to become the preeminent university art museum.” 

For the past few years, the Ackland has been making changes to reach this vision. In the fall of 2017, the Ackland received a donation of three major collections that increased its size, bringing it a step closer to reaching its goal. 

“The next logical step (for the Ackland) was to bring our visual identity in line with that mission that we have as an organization,” Hammond said. “So a little over a year ago we started working with a brand firm that has been helping us to create our new visual identity, and that is what we are launching on Oct. 5 — our new look.”

Katie Ziglar, the director of the Ackland, spoke on WCHL’s Aaron Keck Show to discuss her excitement for the new look.

"It's bold, it's lively, it’s energetic and I think you’re going to like it,” Ziglar told Keck. 

The Ackland will be undergoing new branding and will receive a new logo. The entrances and the outer parts of the Ackland will also be redecorated to emphasize the new branding, Ziglar said. 

Although the event will be focused on the new look of the Ackland, it is planned to be an eventful night through Spotlight Suppers and the Premiere Party.

The 11 Spotlight Suppers each have a different focus, ranging from "Students on a Steinway" to "Food as Art" and much more. Some will have special guests, live music and food for the guests. 

“Folks who are attending the Spotlight Suppers are going to have a really special experience and they are going to gain a lot of exposure to the extended network of supporters that we have here at the museum who are helping us make this happen," Hammond said. 

The Ackland Museum welcomes the community to celebrate a new beginning and a new look at the Premiere Party. The party will have champagne, desserts and live music. There will also be a black-and-white cocktail dress code.

“Going toward our new vision of being the preeminent public university art museum, we want to remain playful, rigorous and responsive and continue to provide free access to our internationally-renowned collection," said Mary Gard, director of external affairs for the Ackland. "We want to be a resource to the campus and community and to enhance the cultural vitality of UNC, the town of Chapel Hill and the state of North Carolina.”

Tickets are still available. All of the proceeds from the evening will support the Ackland’s year-round educational and community programs.