'Little pieces of our hearts': Artists of all ages participate in Arts on Market

chapel-hill-arts-marker.jpg
A mosaic by Lynn Wilder, one of the artists participating in Arts on Market. Photo courtesy of Melinda Abrams.

Over 74 local artists, from potters to glassmakers to jewelers and more, will participate in the Arts on Market on Nov. 24. 

This semiannual shopping event is hosted by Southern Village. The event will take place from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. and will allow visitors to purchase art from local artists.

Michelle Thompson, an artist participating in the event, said she appreciates the opportunity the event offers for artists to sell and promote their work.

“We enjoy being able to share what we do with everyone, and the people who come to this event truly have an understanding and appreciation of art,” Thompson said. “This makes my heart so very happy. Artists put so much time, talent, creative energy and thought into each creation. It’s literally little pieces of our hearts we place on display at these events. The Arts on Market venue is so re-affirming for artists. I am renewed, encouraged and inspired each time.”

Melinda Abrams, the director of Arts on Market, is herself an artist. Abrams creates designs on silk and does acrylic pours on wood and canvas. As an artist, Abrams is interested in creating an accessible place for other artists to display their work. 

“I go around and do festivals all the time, and the cost of participating in this particular event is low for the artists," Abrams said. "So it gives them a space and a place to show their work and sell their work, which is important to me."

The accessibly of Arts on Market allows young artists like Paige Bailey a chance to display their work. Bailey learned pottery at her school, Carrboro High School, and displays her work at Arts on Market. 

“My favorite thing to throw on the wheel is bowls,"  Bailey said. "But I also make plates, cups, and lanterns, and faces."

Bailey said the event promotes pride in local businesses and provides an opportunity for her and her friends. Her favorite artists participating in the event are those she knows through school, such as her friend who creates ceramics and her teacher who makes jewelry. 

Events like Arts on Market allow artists of all ages to promote and sell their art to others in their community. 

“There's literally people as young as me, at 17, to people that do it after retirement," Bailey said. "So there’s so much variety one, in the type of vendors and two, in the ages and type of art that they sell."