Upset by A.C. Headlee spurs win streak in UNC wrestling's 19-17 victory over Michigan

wrestling A. C. Headlee Virginia Tech
UNC junior A. C. Headlee celebrates after winning his bout against his Virginia Tech Opponent (4-2) in Carmichael Arena on Friday, Feb. 8, 2019. UNC won the overall competition against Virginia Tech 18-14.

The No. 17 North Carolina wrestling team won its first dual meet of the season against No. 19 Michigan, 19-17, on Friday in Ann Arbor, Mich. With the meet coming down to just two points, a pin from 174-pounder Clay Lautt played a decisive role in separating the two ranked opponents. 

North Carolina fell to a quick 4-0 deficit after the first bout of the night in the 125-pound division, with No. 19 Joey Melendez, a redshirt first-year, falling to Michigan redshirt sophomore Jack Medley in a major decision, 10-2. 

The Tar Heels wouldn’t let that deficit last long, storming back to tie the meet with the second major decision of the night. Redshirt sophomore Jaime Hernandez dominated his match in the 133-pound division, 20-7, to draw UNC even with its opponent.

The 141- and 149-pound bouts did little to separate the score, with the two sides exchanging close victories. 141-pound redshirt sophomore Zach Sherman scored a 9-3 victory to give North Carolina the lead before Michigan came rumbling back to tie the dual with a victory in the 149-pound matchup. In another match that ended 9-3, redshirt sophomore Gino Esposito was on the losing side, drawing the match even heading into the 157-pound bout. 

UNC redshirt senior A.C. Headlee pulled out an upset victory against No. 10 Will Lewan to give North Carolina a 5-2 victory. The bout was tied after both the first and second periods, with Headlee scoring a late takedown as the buzzer sounded, giving him an important 5-2 victory and the Tar Heels a 10-7 lead going into intermission. 

Redshirt junior Kennedy Monday widened the gap between the two teams when he secured a 10-3 victory. No. 16 Monday led after each period and gave North Carolina an overall lead of 13-7 heading into the 174-pound bout. 

Lautt scored a first-period pin against the Wolverines' Reece Hughes to earn North Carolina a pivotal 19-7 lead going into the final three matches of the night. 

Lautt’s pin would prove decisive for the Tar Heels, who would go on to win despite losing their final three matches. The 19-17 victory for the Tar Heels was decided in the final bout of the night, where No. 5 Mason Parris from Michigan narrowly defeated No. 20 Andrew Gunning, a redshirt junior for the Tar Heels. With Gunning staying on his feet in the 285-pound match, UNC secured its first victory of the season.

Lautt’s victory proved to be key in determining the final outcome for North Carolina. Had he not secured a pin, and the six points that came with it, UNC may have left Ann Arbor with an 0-1 record. The meet was projected to be tightly contested from the start, and Lautt’s pin gave the Tar Heels the extra points they needed to separate them from their opponents.

Outside of Lautt’s pin in the 174-pound bout, an earlier victory from Headlee set off a three-match winning streak for the Tar Heels that led to a 12-point separation in UNC’s favor. With a 3-2 lead late in the third period of his match, Headlee’s defensive efforts and late takedown of his opponent provided a major shift in the momentum during the meet, giving North Carolina a lead they would never lose.

Coming off of the program's best NCAA finish since 1995, North Carolina will look to continue its development this year. Having success in an early road meet against an opponent of Michigan's caliber should point towards even more improvement for the Tar Heels this season. 

North Carolina will be on the road again for a dual meet at Stanford on Saturday, Nov. 16, at 5 p.m. 

@zachycrain