UNC volleyball defeats Florida State 3-2 with late-game rally

20191027_Tran_VballBC.jpg
Redshirt first-year Lauren Harrison in a match against Boston College. Harrison led the Tar Heels in kills against Florida State with 18.

The North Carolina volleyball team (14-11, ACC 11-4) defeated Florida State (17-8, ACC 10-5) 3-2 on Sunday, and have now won seven of its last eight matches.   

The Tar Heels go off to a fast start in the first set and scored the first four points of the match. While North Carolina led, the Seminoles battled back and ultimately tied the set, 10-10.  However, once Florida State tied it up, the Tar Heels scored the next point off a kill from first-year Carly Peck. Once the Tar Heels gained that lead, they maintained it and won the first set, 25-23.  

In the second set, North Carolina and Florida State battled from the start, and early in the set 3-3. Late in the set North Carolina led Florida State, 19-18, and then the Tar Heels went on an 8-2 scoring run to clinch the set win, 25-21.  

With a two set lead, North Carolina looked to win the match in the third set, but Florida State was not ready to give up. Although UNC battled, Florida State was able to cruise through the set, winning 25-17.  

After the Tar Heels lost the fourth set, they were able to find momentum and carry an early lead into the middle of the set before the Seminoles tied the set several times, holding at 22-22. In response to the sets ninth tie, Florida State scored three of the next four points and edged out North Carolina, 25-23 in the fourth set.  

With two straight set wins, the Seminoles seemed to have all of the momentum, which was evident in the beginning of the match deciding fifth set.  Early on, Florida State led 9-1, in a set that would end when a team hit 15. With Florida State cruising, North Carolina bounced back and cut the Seminole lead to two, 12-10. Peck then scored three straight kills to give her team the lead, 13-12.  FSU tied, but the Tar Heels could not be stopped, they scored two straight points and came back to win the set, 15-13. and the match 3-2. 

Harrison shined, leading both teams with 18 kills, bringing her total kills for the season to 294, a team-high for UNC.  

Peck also had a standout performance for North Carolina. In this match, Peck set two career highs with 14 kills and 14.5 points. The first-year played a role in shifting the momentum in the fifth set. With her team trailing 12-10, Peck scored three straight kills to give her team the lead, one they would never give up.  

This match was not decided until the decisive fifth set.  With the match tied and Florida State winning two back-to-back sets heading into the fifth, they had a lot of momentum, which was evident early.  In the set, the Seminoles had a 9-1 lead, but North Carolina battled back and scored nine of the next 12 points to cut the lead to two, 12-10.  With the match close, UNC’s Peck scored three straight kills, and gave North Carolina their only lead of the set, 13-12.  With that lead, the Tar Heels scored two of the next three points and won the set, 15-13.  

With the win, this is the second time this season North Carolina beat Florida State in five sets. With three matches left in the regular season, the Tar Heels have won seven of their last eight matches, five of which have been on the road. 

The Tar Heels will return to Chapel Hill to face Duke on Thursday at Carmichael Arena.  

@TorreNetkovick