Second annual Sexual Health Art Show uses art to remove reproductive stigmas

Sexual health show

The Sexual Health Art Show will be held Nov. 5, 2019 in the Michael Hooker Research Center Lower Atrium. Photo courtesy of Cassidy Kershner.

GlobeMed at UNC was founded to create a world where health is achievable for all people.  

This Tuesday, Nov. 5, GlobeMed will be hosting its second annual Sexual Health Art Show. Local artists have created different pieces of art that represent various aspects and experiences of sexual health.  

The event will be held in the Michael Hooker Research Center Lower Atrium from 6 to 8 p.m. Tickets can be purchased for $5 online and $7 at the door. Dinner will be provided by The Pizza Press and there will be opportunities to both view the art and speak with artists. 

The art aims to break the stigma attached to sexual health. Some of the topics explored are inspired by sexuality, safe sex practices, experience with sexually transmitted diseases and sexual health across cultures.  

The pieces being displayed in the show include “American Uterus,”  “Looking Down the Hole” and “The Gyno Rap."

Cassidy Kershner and Laasya Velamakanni are the co-chairpersons of GlobeMed. All ticket sales from the event go to support GlobeMed’s partner ASSADE, an association for health and development in Guatemala. 

“We're going to be working really closely with their women's reproductive health clinic," Kershner said. "All of our proceeds from this event are going towards ASSADE and that clinic."  

ASADE's main aim is to provide critical health care services to rural communities in various regions of Guatemala, Velamakanni said. ASADE proposes a self-reliant and sustainable dental clinic as well as women's reproductive health programs. 

“This would benefit around 700 women and approximately 200 adolescents a year,” Velamakanni said. “They hope to prevent and diagnose common and local health problems such as cervical cancer."

GlobeMed aims to raise around $10,000 to help ASSADE reach their goal. 

Senior Hannah Knotts said she looks forward to attending the event.  

“I've always had an interest in art, but I've never really gotten into any art dealing with sexual health," Knotts said. "This is like completely different from anything I'll have ever seen.”  

Knotts is looking forward to getting out of her comfort zone and thinks the show will be a rewarding experience. She also finds the artistic approach to sexual health awareness refreshing.  

“Whenever I got to high school and even college, I realized there are people out there who are not well educated on the topic of sex, and some people can't really learn from a textbook," Knotts said. "Some people can learn better from visual art. So, I think this is great.” 

@c_heaton726