New website simplifies job search and payment for student employees

20191009_Pirozzi_ComputerfromStudentStore-38.jpg
Kendall Harrow, a sophomore economics major, works on an assignment on her computer at the UNC Student Store on Wednesday, Oct. 9th, 2019.

A new website is now available to all student employees at UNC. The site serves as a central hub for information and resources regarding finding a job and getting hired on campus. 

“You have students and you have employees,” Dave Turner, a senior business analyst from the Office of Human Resources, said. “Over history, there’s been a really solid line between those, but student employees are a hybrid we knew we’d eventually have to deal with.” 

In 2018, Carolina had more than 12,000 student employees, making up about 39 percent of the University’s workforce, Transformation Manager of Operational Excellence Mieke Lynch said. 

“We built this website as a one-stop shop for all student employment related questions, regardless of if you’re a student, supervisor or hiring representative,” Lynch said. 

The website works in close contact with on-campus organizations that rely heavily on student employees, such as Carolina Housing, Campus Recreation, the Carolina Union and University Libraries. 

Since its release in October, Turner said the University has been watching to see how well the website is received. So far, the most visited pages on the site have been the ones concerned with locating available jobs. 

There are also tabs about policies regarding workplace safety, resources available once hired and the logistics of getting paid. 

As with any other non-University job, student employees log their hours and receive either paper checks or direct deposits. 

“At UNC, everyone is paid the same way,” Lynch said. “It doesn’t matter if you’re a student employee. Everyone logs hours in TIM (Time Information Management) and payroll services distribute paychecks.”

In the past, Lynch said there has been a lot of confusion from both students and supervisors about how to use the technology for getting paid. 

“There have been circumstances where students didn’t know they had to log hours,” Lynch said. “That’s just one of the things, in speaking with students, that was brought up a lot and we wanted to make sure that we really clarified that point moving forward.”

Brooke Scullin-Baccarella, a sophomore majoring in psychology, said she found the website really helpful. 

“The way work study used to be done is so outdated and confusing,” Scullin-Baccarella said. “It takes forever to find relevant information and doesn’t say anything about what would be best for me or how many hours a week I should do.” 

In addition to work study and campus jobs, the website streamlines the process through which graduate students can find academic positions — including becoming research or teaching assistants. 

“It’s really all-encompassing of all types of student employees,” Lynch said. 

@askigenreports