Hearts will grow three sizes at UNC's annual Grinch reading

UNC Student Stores employee George Morgan (left) and Professor Tom Stumpf (right) read "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" in Latin and English at Bull's Head Bookshop's annual reading.

Since 1998, UNC has hosted a bilingual reading of the classic Dr. Seuss book, "How the Grinch Stole Christmas." On Tuesday, Dec. 3, the tradition will continue. 

Former UNC English professor Tom Stumpf and UNC Student Store associate George Morgan will do the readings. Stumpf will read in English and Morgan will read in Latin. 

The event will be held in The Bull’s Head Bookshop lounge at 4 p.m. on Tuesday. There will be refreshments served at the event, including cookies and cider.

The tradition began as a novelty in 1998 when Bull's Head received a copy of the Latin translation of the book. The former manager of Bull’s Head suggested a bilingual reading be held at UNC. 

Stumpf has always participated in the English reading, but a former UNC professor from the classics department was the original reader. Morgan began the readings after the professor retired.

“We started in 1998 and we haven’t missed a year,” Morgan said. 

Morgan is a devoted Latin speaker who was once a part of a weekly dinner club where the members gathered to speak the language together. He has since tried to reassemble the group, but has struggled to find willing participants. 

“All over the world there are enthusiastic groups of people who do speak Latin,” Morgan said. “Despite the rumors that Latin is a dead, it is the official language of The Vatican City. It’s dead in the sense of it being a native language, but it is still very much in use today.” 

Kathleen Pittman is a sophomore at UNC and looks forward to attending the event and joining in on the tradition. 

“It’s one of my favorite Christmas stories," Pittman said. "I think it’s a great way to encourage diversity in our society. I’m interested in hearing the variations of the book and how it compares translated in another language.” 

Morgan doesn’t have any biological evidence of listeners' hearts tripling in size after the reading, but he said it is always an entertaining event. 

“We have people that come every year and they seem to really enjoy it,” Morgan said. 

Mikayla Yager, a UNC junior, said she is planning on attending the reading to make her feel more at home. 

“A Christmas tradition at home is to read 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas' and then watch both the animated and live-action films afterwards with my siblings,” she said. “The reading of it at school just makes me think of home and has me excited for the holidays with my family."