Kevin Guskiewicz named UNC's 12th permanent chancellor

20191213_Duong_LotsofNews-57.jpg
Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz speaks during an event welcoming him as UNC's 12th permanent chancellor at CURRENT Art Space on Friday, Dec. 13, 2019. Guskiewicz was nominated and approved during a Board of Governors meeting on the same day.

Kevin Guskiewicz was named as UNC's 12th chancellor at a Board of Governors meeting Friday, effective immediately. 

Guskiewicz, a concussion researcher who previously served as the dean of the College of Arts & Sciences, has been the University's interim chancellor since February 2019. He assumed the position after former Chancellor Carol Folt ordered the Silent Sam pedestal to be removed from campus and the BOG accelerated her resignation. 

"There is no institution in the world that is more  capable of changing the future than our nation’s first public university," Guskiewicz said in a statement announcing his appointment. "I am committed to championing our community, fighting for  our values and demonstrating that we make a difference in the lives of all North Carolinians." 

Board of Trustees Chairperson Richard Stevens led the search committee to find Folt's replacement, and said in a statement that Guskiewicz is a "visionary leader" that UNC needs. 

“Over the past 10 months, Dr. Guskiewicz has guided this University with a stable and sure hand," Stevens said in the statement. "He is deeply committed to our University and its mission, prioritizing student success, fostering interdisciplinary collaboration and addressing the critical needs of North Carolina and the world.”

Guskiewicz's appointment comes amid controversy over the UNC System's settlement that gave the North Carolina Sons of Confederate Veterans the monument and a $2.5 million trust for its preservation. 

Guskiewicz has faced questions about the legality and ethics of the settlement from faculty and students, and wrote a letter to the BOG and UNC System on Wednesday urging them to ensure that the $2.5 million trust is not used for purposes outside the monument's preservation. 

Demonstrators gathered outside the UNC Center for School Leadership Development before the BOG meeting began on Friday, in opposition to the BOG's role in the Silent Sam settlement. 

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.