CAGE’s Feminist Clothing Swap will bring accessible thrifting to the Pit

thumbnail_cage cs 3.jpg
Students picking out clothing at last year's Feminist Clothing Swap, hosted by Carolina Advocates for Gender Equity (CAGE). This year, the 3rd annual Feminist Clothing Swap will be held on Feb. 17 in the Pit. Photo courtesy of Bailey Fattorusso.

The third annual Feminist Clothing Swap, hosted by Carolina Advocates for Gender Equity (CAGE), will bring a mission of sustainability, accessibility and gender equity to the Pit on Monday, Feb. 17. 

CAGE is an organization that works to eliminate gender-based discrimination and create comfortable environments for all. Recently, they have been advocating for more gender-neutral bathrooms around campus and on Franklin Street, said Bailey Fattorusso, a co-chair of CAGE.

“The clothing swap lets people explore their identity through clothes and be able to buy whatever clothes they feel like in a low-pressure environment,” Fattorusso said.

Coulture Magazine, a fashion and lifestyle magazine run by UNC students, is also partnering with CAGE for the event. Caroline Farrell is the editor-in-chief of Coulture. 

“It’s not separated for men and women,” Farrell said. “It’s just shirts and sweaters over here, skirts and pants over here.”

For many, said Farrell, clothing is a major form of identity expression.

“Clothing is an incredibly visible, strong and powerful way we choose to represent ourselves,” Farrell said. “And with feminism and gender equity in CAGE, clothing grants a lot of power towards trans folks being able to represent their gender expression in a way that best captures who they are.”

One key element of the Feminist Clothing Swap is price — all items are three for $5, making it financially accessible for all students. 

“There’s an economic justice aspect of it,” Fattorusso said. “These clothes are very cheap. If you are someone with a low income or maybe don’t have access to clothes for whatever reason, this is a really great opportunity to make sure you have good clothes, warm clothes and clean clothes.”

Gender-neutrality is another big emphasis of the clothing swap. 

“It’s an accessible and sustainable and judgment-free way to shop gender-neutral clothing,” said Emma Spears, the copyediting director of Coulture. “People can buy what they want without having the preconceived notions of gender placed upon them.”

It’s difficult to find many large fashion corporations, Spears said, that make gender-neutral clothing.

“I think it’s really rare that you see companies having androgynous designs,” Spears said. “It’s important to increase the accessibility of that because gender is changing a lot and the way that people express and interpret their gender is changing.” 

Buying secondhand clothes is also sustainable, said Kayla Dang, a sophomore planning to attend the event. 

“I try to do my best to live a low waste and environmentally friendly life,” Dang said. “One of my goals for 2020 is that if I do purchase clothes then I want to purchase them secondhand.”

Farrell said the Feminist Clothing Swap also has a sister event on Wednesday, Feb. 19. For a $5 entry fee, students can "upcycle" thrifted clothes using various materials. Both events welcome all.

“Clothes are made for bodies, not the other way around,” Fattorusso said.