Despite a losing streak, UNC students lined up hours early to watch Duke game

20200208_whittington_MBBVDuke-18.JPG
Students watch UNC basketball play Duke in the Smith Center on Saturday, Feb. 8, 2020. UNC lost to Duke in overtime 98-96.

Students got up and lined up outside the Dean Dome on Saturday morning, hours before the game, to watch UNC and Duke play — despite UNC's record this season. 

Seniors Sarah Brooker and Caroline Anderson are two students who arrived at the Dean Dome early. 

The two said they were especially motivated to arrive early for a chance to participate in and compete for $19,000 in the half-court shot event as part of ESPN'S College GameDay. 

“We got here at 9:01(a.m.) to get our randomization wristband for phase one, but they wouldn’t give it to us because we were one minute late,” Brooker said.

Brooker said the game was important to both of them because they are seniors and it may be the last game they are able to attend.

“Lining up is fun though because you get to see people you haven’t seen in a while, especially for this game because it’s like all seniors here,” Anderson said.

The students said they are thankful UNC does not have its own version of Duke's Krzyzewskiville — commonly referred to as K-Ville — which is a tent village of students camping outside for about a month before the game. 

“I would not want to sleep out here," Anderson said. "It’s too cold."

Anderson said she has had decent luck with the lottery system over the years, allowing her to attend lots of home games. But with this game, one of the things she most looked forward to was seeing Roy Williams.

Collin Nix, a senior, had only been in line for an hour. He said he had attended the Duke-UNC game during his sophomore year but was most excited to watch Cole Anthony play this year.

As a member of Carolina Fever, Nix said he receives two phase-one tickets to every home basketball game, and that he attends every one that he can.

Overall, the consensus among lined up students seemed to be that waiting in line in the cold was worth it for this particular game. 

“It’s the greatest rivalry in sports,” Nix said.