Here's how Carolina For The Kids is trying to raise $60k in one day

2019 dance marathon
Carolina For The Kids Foundation hosted the UNC Dance Marathon, a no-sitting, no-sleeping event comprised of over 2,000 students who remain standing for 24 hours at Fetzer Gym, on March 22 and March 23, 2019. The event is a culmination of year-long fundraising efforts which raised $440,955.07. The money raised goes toward providing families with financial and emotional assistance at UNC Children's Hospital. Students who attended the marathon watched the basketball game between UNC and Iona, danced, watched musical performances and more. Students participated in the marathon for a various personal reasons, including having their own family members in the hospital or, "seeing how much of an impact we can have on a family," junior biology major Jessica Martinson said.

It may seem like a long-shot to raise $60,000 in 24 hours — but for the dancers and executive members of Carolina For The Kids, it’s a crucial part of their yearly fundraising efforts for UNC Children's Hospitals.

Starting Feb. 25 at 7 p.m., CFTK kicks off its 60k in One Day campaign, which includes fundraising over social media, sales in the Pit and benefit nights at local businesses. 

After last year's One Day campaign, CFTK raised roughly $41,000, Matus said. But she said the group hopes to meet its goal of $60,000 this year.

CFTK's day of fundraising begins with a benefit night at Cold Stone Creamery on East Franklin Street. 

Cold Stone Creamery Manager Nora Baer said she enjoys using the space to support campus groups and charities. 

“What’s not to like?” Baer said. “One, you get ice cream which is fun and two, it gives back to the organization.”

In addition to the benefit at Cold Stone Creamery, CFTK will also be hosting a benefit at Linda’s Bar and Grill the afternoon of Feb. 26. The group will end its 24-hour fundraising push at Cosmic Cantina that night, unveiling the amount it raised. 

Kalina MacKay, CFTK’s public relations chairperson, said the unveiling would be a gratifying way to end 24 hectic hours of fundraising. 

“That final total reveal at the end of the day makes everything worth it,” Mackay said. "You can see how much impact you have, and it’s just really amazing.”

Mackay said she hopes the other CFTK members can see their impact through the 24 hours of fundraising and hopes they use the day to get a jumpstart on their Dance Marathon fundraising, which requires each dancer to raise a minimum of $200. 

“We have about 600 to 700 dancers, and we ask them all to raise $60 as an individual goal,” Mackay said.

In addition to individual fundraising and benefits with local business, the group also accepts monetary pledges from corporate sponsors who believe in CFTK's mission, said Tori Matus, CFTK’s sponsorship and development chairperson.

“We’ve been working with businesses a little bigger than local businesses who possibly have ties to the UNC community, so they’ll feel more engaged in our work,” Matus said.

Because the state covers only 10 percent of the hospital's costs, CFTK proceeds goes toward UNC Children's hospitals to supplement the care provided to patients and families. 

Matus said she hopes to see the UNC campus community support CFTK's fundraising goal as this is one of its biggest financial pushes of the year.

@madsspennington