Cover band to perform pop hits at Valentine's Day concert

Mix Tape Grab Bag.jpg

The Station in Carrboro will host a Valentine’s Day concert featuring Mix Tape Grab Bag on Feb. 14, 2020 from 9 p.m. to 12 a.m.. Photo courtesy of Hugh Swaso.

Hugh Swaso has been the front person for Mix Tape Grab Bag for more than half a decade, and now his newest performance with the band will be a Valentine's Day concert that attempts to appeal to people of all relationship statuses. 

On Feb. 14, The Station in Carrboro will host a Valentine’s Day concert featuring Mix Tape Grab Bag. The concert will take place from 9 p.m. to 12 a.m. and is open to the public.

“Mix Tape Grab Bag is a Top 40 party band,” Swaso said. “Basically we play an expansion of popular tunes ranging over the last six decades and instead of just playing them verbatim, we usually mash them up.”

Swaso says the band creates mixes of different music, such as combining Weezer with Aladdin. He said that at this concert, they will be playing music that focuses on love, such as ‘Truth Hurts’ by Lizzo. 

“For Valentine’s Day, of course it is a love holiday so we’re going to play some classic love tunes and some newer stuff as well,” Swaso said.

Swaso said that both he and the other members of Mix Tape Grab Bag have been around Carrboro for more than half a decade. He said their connection with The Station goes as far back as to when they first opened. 

“We have a long standing house gig at The Station,” Swaso said. “We play there every third Saturday. The Station itself is a great hub for local music, as well as community-based musical and art interests. It’s always been that way, and through the ownerships throughout the years, it's always tried to maintain that same standard, which is fantastic. I’m glad that we get to be part of that standard.”

Swaso also said people should come out because it will be a fun night, regardless of relationship status. 

“Whether you have a special someone on Valentine’s Day or not, it’s still a fun way to spend your Friday night,” Swaso said. “Come out to see some live music, dance, drink, have a good time, meet some new people, hang out with some old friends and you can’t go wrong.”

Cayla Ifill, a UNC student interested in attending the concert, believes that it would be a good time regardless of whether a person brings a date.

“Valentine’s Day is also about love for friends too," Ifill said.

Ifill said the concert will also be fun for those who are single because they can also meet other people there, and it will be enjoyable for people in a relationship because you can dance together and have a good time. 

“It’s better than just sitting down at an expensive dinner and not really enjoying yourself,” Ifill said. “I think seeing the live music and meeting other people would be cool on a Friday night."

Ifill said the people who attend the concert can also meet others who like live music and have similar interests. 

“It’s a good way to bring people together in the community of Carrboro,” said Jade Sterling, a UNC sophomore also interested in going to the concert. “It seems like a good way to get out without breaking the bank, and it’s in a local setting.”

Sterling said this concert can definitely appeal to those who are either single or in a relationship. 

“You don’t have to be in a relationship to enjoy a concert, and it also seems like a fun thing for couples to go out and do,” Sterling said.