Head over (Tar) Heels: Here are some UNC love stories

20200213_Pack_UNC_Valentines-9.jpg

DTH Photo Illustration. A UNC Couple holds hands in front of the Old Well on Thursday, Feb. 13, 2020. Many couples will be celebrating Valentine's Day together and are reflecting on how they met on UNC's campus.

They say that red is the color of love, but Carolina blue isn't too far off.

Upon entering the world of college, especially a school as big as UNC, it's common for students to start wondering if this is the place where they will find their soulmate.

Whether it’s in the first few weeks, the last few weeks or some place in between, it is common for people to find — or look for — their significant other during the time they spend at college.

With some students working frantically to get ready for Valentine’s Day — writing cards, picking out flowers and making dinner reservations — some relationships that began at UNC continue beyond.

Buck Goldstein, a professor in the department of economics, said he met his wife at UNC when he was 19 or 20 years old.

“We’ve been back in Chapel Hill about 16 years now,” said Goldstein, “Our best friends in college are still our best friends now. Coming back here was just like coming back home.”

Angela Myers, a UNC graduate and mother of six, said she went through a rather unique situation when it came to finding love at Carolina.

“My husband’s roommate actually ended up marrying my roommate,” said Myers, “They met because we were all in pharmacy school together and we were in the same pharmacy fraternity. The four of us are still great friends, it’s funny how it all worked out.”

Though love that persists through college and develops into marriage is something some people strive for, it can also be interesting to rewind and remember that first spark.

Ana Tan, a first-year at UNC, said she met her boyfriend just a few weeks into her first semester in the elevator of Granville Towers.

“We both got into it so fast," Tan said. "That first week I kept asking myself why I loved him already, but then around the second or third week of us talking we discussed the feelings we had for each other. We both knew we liked each other but decided to take things slow in order to get the ‘freshmen experience.’ I love what we have though, I wouldn't have it any other way.”