UNC women's lacrosse cruises past Davidson in home opener

20200216_Berenfeld_WomensLAX-1.JPG
First-year midfielder and defender Livi Lawton scored a point against Davidson at Dorrance Field on Sunday, feb. 16, 2020. This was Lawton's second career goal. UNC defeated Davidson with a score of 22-5.

In its home opener, the No. 1 North Carolina women’s lacrosse team defeated the Davidson Wildcats by a score of 22-5 on Sunday afternoon in Chapel Hill. 

The Tar Heels opened up their high-scoring afternoon just over two minutes into the contest with a free-position goal from senior midfielder Marisa DiVietro, her first of the season. The aggressive offensive attack persisted for the next several minutes, when UNC established a 6-0 lead before Davidson called a timeout with 21:41 remaining in the first period. 

While building the early lead, UNC’s goals were widely distributed, as the first seven goals were scored by six different Tar Heels. 

Davidson’s first goal would not come until midway through the first period, when they cut into the deficit to make the score 7-1. UNC responded quickly, however, and scored four goals to widen its lead to 11-1 with ten minutes to play in the first period. With four more goals in the final ten minutes, the Tar Heels headed into intermission with a decisive 15-1 advantage. 

Early in the second half, the Tar Heels carried the strong momentum from the first half into the second stanza to extend their lead to 17-1. From there, UNC continued its stifling defense and prolific offensive attack to hang on for a 22-5 victory. 

UNC was paced by a familiar tandem, as junior attacker Jamie Ortega and senior midfielder Katie Hoeg dazzled in scoring while setting the table for their teammates. Ortega finished with five goals on five shots, chipping in three assists. Conversely, Hoeg led the team with six assists and found the back of the net twice. 

Nearly every player played a vital role in the victory, as 29 players received playing time with 13 contributing either a goal or an assist. 

After jumping out to an early 7-0 lead before Davidson could even attempt a shot, UNC blew the game open and never looked back. At halftime, the score was 15-1. 

Despite the ten-goal advantage signifying a running clock would be in effect after goals were scored, the condensed second half did little in slowing down the offense, evident in their 22-goal showing.

The victory extended its winning streak over Davidson, as UNC now leads the all-time series 5-0. UNC is now 3-0 on the young campaign, and carries a roster gaining more and more experience after each game. 

The sharp offensive and defensive showing should be a great tune-up for the challenging stretch that lies ahead, as UNC will take on top-three teams Maryland and Virginia in the next few weeks.

North Carolina will return to action on Saturday and host the reigning national champion Terrapins, the No. 2 team in the country, in Chapel Hill at 1 p.m. 

The Tar Heels will look to avenge a defeat from last season, when Maryland won in overtime by a score of 13-12.

@nelsonhunter_