'A space, as well as a destination': Hussman School opens its Undergraduate Hub

20200225_Sheridan_UndergradHub_FULLSHOOT-29.JPG

UNC Hussman School of Journalism Program Assistant Alyssa Anderson works the front desk at the Undergraduate Hub in Carroll Hall on Tuesday, Feb. 25, 2020 The updated Undergraduate Hub is home to career services for students in UNC's journalism school.

The Hussman School of Journalism and Media officially opened its renovated Undergraduate Hub on Feb. 25, establishing its presence in Carroll Hall. 

The Hub now houses the offices of academic advising, career services and global and immersive programs for the students of the journalism school. 

The combination of these offices was made possible by renovations to Carroll Hall that started last July, Susan King, dean of the Hussman School, said. Before renovations, the various offices were scattered throughout Carroll Hall.

King said although the area was called the Undergraduate Hub for about two years before renovations, the offices were officially combined in the fall semester. Now that all the staff has settled into the new office, the Undergraduate Hub was recognized by an open house in Carroll Hall.

King said she has envisioned a streamlined space like this for years and that a grant from the Triad Foundation, a longtime supporter of the school, finally made her vision possible. 

“It is a place that students can find answers to all the questions they have and maybe some opportunities or answers they didn’t even know they wanted,” King said.

Jay Eubank, director of career services for the Hussman School, said the new Undergraduate Hub will help staff better interact and provide students with the information they need to succeed within and beyond the school.

“I think this is one of the best things we can do because it really shows that we are very student-focused and student-facing,” Eubank said.

King said the Hub will help students with their future careers.

“I think it will be a lot easier for them to find out about things that matter to them: internships, job interviews, changes in curriculum and what it means to them,” King said. 

The Hub also helps staff better serve their students, Sharon Jones, director of academic advising and student engagement at the Hussman School, said. The singular location is meant to help staff interact and share resources. 

“It makes it convenient for the students, as well as for us, actually,” Jones said.

The journalism school is promoting the Hub as more than a typical advising office. 

“It is a space, as well as a destination,” King said.

King, Eubank and Jones said the Hub will be a place for collaboration between students and staff. 

Students employed by the school will be stationed at the Hub, as well.

Career Peers, a new role and program for students at Hussman, will also be housed in the Hub. Students will be hired for the program in the spring for the fall semester and will help cultivate student-to-student learning, something that Eubank said he likes to promote.

“The Hub is a one-stop-shop for undergraduates,” said King.