Faculty Athletics Committee talks coronavirus, faculty engagement

Bubba Cunningham

UNC Athletic Director Bubba Cunningham and Jaye Cable discuss the minutes during the Faculty Executive Committee Meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 10, 2019. 

The Faculty Athletics Committee met Thursday to discuss topics ranging from coronavirus to faculty engagement with student athletes.

“You don't have a playbook for everything and certainly the coronavirus is not one which we have a playbook for, nobody does,” Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz said. “We are certainly creating one and I feel really good about the team.”

Guskiewicz said he and Provost Bob Blouin recently formed the “COVID-19 Coronavirus Executive Operations Team," an additional working group in regards to the disease. 

“This team is going to be working more on long range planning, which we felt was very important for the continuation of operations,” Guskiewicz said.

Lissa Broome, the faculty athletics representative and a law professor, asked Director of Athletics Bubba Cunningham how coronavirus will affect athletic teams. 

“We’re also concerned with the next couple of weeks,” Cunningham said. “We’re starting into the championship seasons for a couple of our teams so, should they qualify for a championship, depending on the location of it.”

Cunningham said the athletics department will be getting advice from the NCAA on which championships they are going to sponsor, as some schools and institutions have already cancelled events they were set to host.

“We sent out notifications: we don’t do high fives, we don’t do fist bumps,” Cunningham said. “We’re giving our kids sharpies so that they are doing autographs, I mean all the standard personal hygiene. We’re continuing to remind them what’s just good, common sense at this point.”

Jeffrey Spang, an associate professor of Orthopedics, spoke on faculty engagement with student athletes after a faculty meeting he attended on the topic. 

“Multiple athletes reported not wearing athletic gear in order to blend in," Spang said. 

Spang said that "unfairness" experienced in class includes the inability to qualify for extra credit activities because of time commitments and lack of exam flexibility regarding team-related travel. He also said that concerns about sports camps were brought up for the first time.

“Teams, of course, offer their athletes a chance to work at camps, but there was definitely a feeling that you have to work at camp," Spang said. 

That complaint applies to individual teams, he said. But he said a way to combat this could be speaking to coaches about presenting working at a sports camp over the summer as an opportunity.

Spang concluded his portion of the meeting by discussing what student athletes report as the positive aspects of their overall experience.

“One of them was that the athletic department is interested in development of the entire person and not just the athlete,” Spang said. “I feel like that's something that we've heard a lot here as the emphasis on the programming, it's outside of sports. To hear that hitting home I think was really positive.”

Daryhl Johnson II, an associate professor of surgery, said a strategy must be formed to check boxes for progress in regards to faculty engagement next year.

The next Faculty Athletics Committee Meeting is scheduled for Thursday, April 2.