Your guide to returning books during a campus shutdown

20200420_Collins_RentalBooks-2.jpg

DTH Photo Illustration. The deadline to return textbooks has been extended due to COVID-19. Rental textbooks can be returned by mail until June 15, 2020. 

With UNC students off campus, libraries and UNC Student Stores are adjusting their return policies. 

The decision comes in response to the continued impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, Student Stores manager Michele Gretch-Carter said. Many students have moved off campus since the University closed down in response to the spread of the virus.

“All rental textbooks were originally due on May 5, the last day of finals,” she said in a statement. “The rental due date has now been extended to June 15 to ensure students have enough time to return their materials.”

First-year Samantha Beecham said she rented her Calculus III textbook from Student Stores. But Beecham said she has no idea what to do with the book when classes end.  

“I’m just waiting until the end of the semester to give it back," she said. "I don’t think I can go back to campus to hand it in. Maybe I will send it in a package?”

The communication from the University on returning equipment, Beecham said, has not been the best. 

Gretch-Carter said the Student Stores team is working to support students as best they can. Students should visit the UNC Barnes and Noble College website for specific rental return instructions, she said. 

“Rented textbooks can be returned for free by shipping back via UPS,” she said in the statement.

A representative from Amazon said the company has extended physical textbook rental return due date by 30 days at no additional charge. Representatives from Barnes and Noble College did not respond to a request for comment on their return process at the time of publication. 

Stephanie Willen Brown, director of the Park Library at the Hussman School of Journalism and Media said libraries across campus are extending their return deadlines to the end of August. 

The Park Library allows students to check out books as well as cameras, recording devices and lighting equipment. 

Willen Brown said she does not have a definite plan for the recollection of technology, but she is currently following the same guidelines as with book return.  

The timing and protocol for students to return to campus is still unknown. All summer courses will be online. At a faculty council meeting Friday, Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz and Provost Bob Blouin said it is possible that operations may not resume as usual in the fall. 

She said she is not worried about whether students are bringing back expensive books or media equipment. 

“I believe that people will return it as best they can,” Willen Brown said. 

@alliemkelly