Quarterback Sam Howell the latest to weigh in on UNC football's blue turf prank

kenan stadium
The UNC football Twitter account posted a joke on April 1 suggesting the Tar Heels would play on a Carolina Blue field in the near future.

Last Wednesday, the official Twitter account of the North Carolina football team unveiled quite the announcement to its unsuspecting followers. 

In recent years, the Tar Heels have not shied away from the occasional splashy fashion statement. A full blackout look for Zero Dark Thursday in 2013? Sure. Take basketball’s classic argyle and repurpose it for the gridiron? Why not. 

But an entirely Carolina blue playing surface? This one was sure to turn some heads. 

That is, until, you check the date of the tweet. April 1. A rather believable April Fool’s joke, but a joke nonetheless. But while Tar Heel purists may breathe a sigh of relief, last Friday’s press conference with Head Coach Mack Brown revealed that this prank may have taken a life of its own.

"I got in a little trouble, because a lot of the players really liked (the Carolina blue turf),” Brown said, adding, “We might have to look into it sometime down the road."

As fans of college football know, the idea of different-colored turf rose to prominence thanks to Boise State, a mid-major school best known for a thrilling upset of Oklahoma in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl. 

Is there really a scenario in which the Tar Heels would storm into Kenan Stadium amidst a sea of Pantone 542, the technical name for the color? Could the fantasy of watching an opponent in Duke blue do battle with UNC on a Carolina blue field become a reality?

Not so fast. North Carolina star quarterback Sam Howell pumped the brakes on the novel idea.

“Personally, I wasn’t really a big fan of it,” Howell said. “I’m more of a traditional guy. I like the green field. It just has that different type of feeling.”

Meanwhile, a look at the replies to the team's tweet show that the court of public opinion remains divided. Tar Heel Nation, a popular UNC fan account with over 22,000 followers, gave its support.

Other Twitter fans were less impressed with the idea.

While the lighthearted social media escapade may prove to be divisive in the long run, perhaps former Tar Heel quarterback Marquise Williams summed things up best.

"Man," he said in a tweet reply, "it's April Fool's."

@fleetwilson