Sunday May 9th

UNC Police investigating shots fired between moving cars on South Road

South Road facing Woolen Gymnasium as pictured on Sunday, June 7th around two hours before the incident where shots were fired between cars.
Buy Photos South Road facing Woolen Gymnasium as pictured on Sunday, June 7th around two hours before the incident where shots were fired between cars.

UNC Police is investigating a report of shots fired between two moving vehicles along South Road just before 7:00 p.m. Sunday, according to a campus-wide Alert Carolina email.

The vehicles included a silver sedan and a red Nissan Altima, the email stated. One bystander's car was hit by the sedan, and police found bullet casings on the ground. There are no reports of injuries related to the shooting at the time the message was sent.

The vehicles are known to have left the area, the email stated, and the area has been cleared. UNC Police do not believe there is a continuing threat to campus. Anyone who would like to report suspicious activity or provide any information that may aid in the investigation should call 911, the email said. 

According to UNC Police, this is an ongoing investigation and no other information is available at this time. 

@hannaherinlang

The Daily Tar Heel for April 2, 2021