Granville Towers has 102 positive cases of COVID-19 — 10.8 percent of residents

20200211_Sheridan_GranvilleVandalism-37.JPG
Two students exit the East building at Granville Towers on Feb. 11, 2020. Two incidents of vandalism and verbal racial harassment were recently reported at Granville Towers that are now under investigation by UNC Police.

Granville Towers has 102 positive COVID-19 cases as of Thursday, according to an email sent to residents obtained by The Daily Tar Heel. 

As of Aug. 20, Granville Towers was at72 percent capacity with 940 leases — 10.8 percent of residents in Granville Towers have COVID-19. 

The email from Carolina Housing directs all residents to get tested for COVID-19 before leaving campus.  

"As a resident of Granville Towers, while you may not have been identified as a close contact of someone who has previously been diagnosed with COVID-19, you have an increased risk of exposure and are directed to get tested. We strongly recommend that you get tested before departing campus to prevent further spread and to protect your family and our communities," said Carolina Housing Director Allan Blattner and Executive Director of Campus Health Ken Pittman in the email.

Other dorms that are also urging residents to get tested include Ehringhaus, with 16 positive cases as of Thursday, and Hinton James, with 17 positive cases. Both residence halls were confirmed to have clusters on Aug. 14 and Aug. 16 respectively. 

While residents of Granville Towers East have not been living in residence due to a delayed move-in, the email still urges these individuals to get tested. 

"Granville-East residents who have visited the property for any reason, including dining, are also considered to have increased risk of exposure and are also directed to get tested," the email states. 

Residents can be tested between Aug. 21 and Aug. 23 at Campus Health or the UNC Health Respiratory Diagnostic Center. Residents must have an appointment to be tested at the Respiratory Diagnostic Center.

The University announced Thursday it would begin reporting daily new cases of COVID-19 on its COVID-19 dashboard. There were 91 new daily cases of COVID-19 Wednesday.