Friday January 15th

COVID-19 case cluster confirmed at Sigma Nu fraternity house

UNC's Sigma Nu fraternity house as pictured on Sunday, June 7, 2020.
Buy Photos UNC's Sigma Nu fraternity house as pictured on Sunday, June 7, 2020.

Update 6:20 p.m.: There are at least six positive cases of COVID-19 in the Sigma Nu house as of Friday, according to a message from the Sigma Nu president obtained by The Daily Tar Heel. 

According to the message, members of the fraternity who live both in the house and out must quarantine for 14 days since their last exposure.

The University confirmed a COVID-19 case cluster at the Sigma Nu fraternity house located on Fraternity Court in an Alert Carolina message Saturday.

UNC defines a cluster as five or more positive COVID-19 cases in a single dwelling. 

"The individuals  in this cluster  have been identified and are isolating and receiving medical monitoring. We have also notified the Orange County Health Department  and are working with them to identify  additional  potential exposures," the message states.

Contact tracing has been initiated, the message states. UNC defines a close contact as an individual who has been within six feet of an infected person for 15 minutes without face coverings. 

This confirmation follows reports of a cluster at the fraternity house on social media Friday. 

The Sigma Nu cluster is the latest cluster identified by the University, along with those at Granville Towers and Ehringhaus Community on Friday. 

This is a developing story. Check back for updates. 

The Daily Tar Heel for December 7, 2020