Sidelined: Sports aren't going to unify us

brian.jpg
Brian Keyes is the sports editor for the 2020-2021 school year.

Usually I try to focus this biweekly column on our own reporting, but this week I'm going to talk about someone else's. 

There is no justice to be found in sports. Watching sports does not bind us together as a nation, or heal political wounds. Any reporter, talking head or other who tells you anything else is lying to you.

Sports are coming back, regardless of whether that's correct or not. They can even be a force for social good. I am not so embittered by the current state of the world that I can't see why it might be important to have some of the most famous people in the country use a platform normally reserved for talking about random plays being used to talk about police brutality or the need for education reform

But sports do not unite us. Not in a way that really matters. If they did, you wouldn't have Tom Herman of Texas saying that fans need to love the players off the field, as well as on it. You wouldn't have people playing bad-faith politics about the Big Ten reversing its decision to postpone football, chalking it up as a "win" for those who spread lies and misinformation about the seriousness of COVID-19. 

If sports had some magical ability to make all people see their fellow fans — and the players they root for — as people, it would have happened decades ago. College football has been a major part of American life since the late 19th century, and most teams have been desegregated for the past 50 years or so, yet we still have players today speaking about the various racist abuses they have suffered from either fans or coaches. 

Boston had one of the great athlete activists in Bill Russell, and instead of seeing his humanity, people broke into his home in the city and defecated on his bed. All because he had the audacity, as a Black man playing in a white-dominated city, to be unhappy about the place of Black Americans in society. 

The list of athletes who have "failed" to bring people together goes on and on: Paul Roberson, Jackie Robinson, Oscar Robertson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Jim Brown, Muhammad Ali, Curt Flood, Kathrine Switzer, Tommie Smith, John Carlos, Wilma Rudolph, The Syracuse 8, John Thompson, Toni Smith, Serena Williams, LeBron James and Colin Kaepernick, just to name a few. 

All some of the best at their craft, yet all unable to "bring the country together" through excellence in their craft. Writers who try and parrot how effectively the old guard of sports heroes fought racism and sexism as an example of the social good of sports are missing what the world looks like right now. To rephrase an argument Bomani Jones used about Thompson: if these people were so effective, why are there still so many issues? 

It's our role as journalists to try to accurately and fairly tell what is happening in the world. Well, what's happening is that sports haven't done much to solve any of the deeply engrained societal issues that have come to a head in the past year. 

So if you're enjoying watching sports right now, that's fine. If you are excited for Ohio State or Michigan or USC to take the field again after it looked like those teams would be skipping 2020, that's fine. Just don't insult people by saying that by playing, these teams will "(heal) a democracy made more fragile by disease, racial unrest and a contested presidential election cycle." 

If it could, it would have happened already. 

@bg_keyes