UNC women's basketball names Caleb Krueger new strength and conditioning coach

UNC WOMEN'S BASKETBALL
Women's basketball strength coach Caleb Krueger assists first-year guard Kennedy Todd-Williams during a preseason workout October 1, 2020 in Carmichael Arena. Photo courtesy of UNC Athletics Communications.

The North Carolina women’s basketball team announced last month that it has found a new strength and conditioning coach in Caleb Krueger.

Krueger, a Kansas native, has experience in strength and conditioning with his alma mater, Ottawa University, and with the University of Kansas. At Ottawa, he managed and led strength training for athletes in eight different sports, and at Kansas, he worked as a strength and conditioning coach for the men’s and women’s basketball teams. 

UNC head coach Courtney Banghart said she was thrilled about the hiring of Krueger. 

“He clearly has a real passion and also just an up-to-date knowledge,” Banghart said. “He’s a collaborative thinker about body movement and how strength and fitness and power correlate to body movement, and how that fits in comprehensively with the training that we do on the court.” 

Not only has Krueger presented himself as a great hire, but Banghart and the rest of the staff are impressed with the progress he has already made in such a short time with the players. 

“He’s such a relationship guy," Banghart said. "He came in at a time where we already hit the ground running. How he’s engaged with them, not just talked at them, but how he’s taught them, he’s gotten incredible feedback.” 

Banghart emphasized the connections Krueger has already made with the players on the team and the time he’s put into creating bonds between himself and the players. 

Krueger believes the Tar Heels are a perfect fit for him as a coach.  

“Something that’s really important to me is having people around me that support me and support what I do,” Krueger said. “When I was going through the application process, that’s something that I really felt with coach Banghart and the rest of the staff and the administration. Where they really wanted to bring someone in who knew what they were doing, but also was going to be collaborative and have an impact and see growth in not only women’s basketball but in the athletics department as a whole.” 

Alexandra Zelaya, a first-year from Goodyear, Arizona, had nothing but praise for the work Krueger has done for the team. 

“Even though he’s new, he’s already bringing a lot of good energy,” Zelaya said. 

She said Krueger cares about more than just the players' physical health — he also cares about their minds and makes sure that they are encouraging each other.

Zelaya feels like she and her teammates can connect with Krueger, who was still in college himself less than five years ago, which helps bring incentive and vigor to workouts that may occasionally seem like a nuisance.

“Even though we’re in the weight room and not on the court, he wants us to bring the same energy and continue to lift each other up, so he’s really helped with team chemistry and has helped us stay motivated," Zelaya said.

And for Krueger, that same energy and support within the team will lead to future success.

“We’re going to continue to drive the culture forward, continue to become more successful as a team, become better teammates, better coaches," Krueger said. "And we’re going to win some national championships.”

@igbryant619