COVID-19 cluster reported in Carmichael Residence Hall as move-in begins

20201105_Sheridan_COVIDIllustration_SELECT-8.jpg
DTH Photo Illustration. A cluster of COVID-19 cases was found using evaluation testing in Carmichael Residence Hall on Wednesday, Jan. 13, 2021.

Updated 2:30 p.m.: Individuals in the Carmichael cluster and their close contacts were moved to isolation before the beginning of move-in to the residence hall on Jan. 13, University Spokesperson Joanne Peters Denny confirmed in an email to The Daily Tar Heel. 

Students who live in Carmichael but are not close contacts are being contacted for testing.

Individuals set to move into on-campus housing have the option to delay move-in until Feb. 7. 

The University is working with the Orange County Health Department to identify additional potential exposures connected to the cluster. 

A cluster of COVID-19 cases was confirmed in Carmichael Residence Hall on Wednesday. The cluster involves students who lived in the residence hall over winter break, according to a cluster notification posted to the Carolina Together website. 

The University identified the cluster through evaluation testing, according to the notification. 

Individuals in the cluster, defined by the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services as five or more cases in close proximity, have been moved to isolation. People identified as close contacts to those in the cluster have also been identified, tested and moved to isolation. 

The cluster was announced Wednesday, the same day as the beginning of on-campus move-in. Classes resume on Jan. 19, with the return to in-person classes set for Feb. 8.

Prior to move-in, students are required to submit proof of a negative COVID-19 test within five days of returning to the campus area. Once students arrive, they must test at a UNC site as part of the Carolina Together testing program. 

After reporting clusters through the Alert Carolina notification system at the start of the fall semester, the University announced it would share information around clusters solely through the Carolina Together COVID-19 dashboard and through social media.