Editorial: Self-love tips for your wellness days

20201013_McConnell_At-Home-Barista-Photo-Illustration-26.jpg
DTH Photo Illustration. With coffee shops limited during the pandemic, many students have been becoming baristas of their own.

With two mental health days and Valentine’s Day ahead, we all deserve a break from the monotony of Zoom University. The stresses of the pandemic and virtual learning make it enticing to scroll through TikTok for hours, but this is an opportunity for students to destress and show themselves some love. 

Here are the Editorial Board’s socially distanced self-care tips for your extra-long weekend:

Cook for yourself

The best thing about cooking? You get to eat whatever you make! Trying your hand at baking or experimenting with recipes can be a rewarding way to destress. Who knows, you could go viral making the TikTok-famous feta pasta.

Spend time outside

North Carolina weather is unpredictable, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the sunny warm days in the middle of February. Go for a hike, plan a picnic-for-one or just walk around beautiful Chapel Hill (with a mask, of course). Fresh air and time in the sun is what we all need after a long week of breakout rooms and forum posts.

Drink fancy coffee

Coffee can help you be productive throughout the week, but it can also be a treat! This weekend, be adventurous and try out a new coffee concoction, or keep it simple with your regular order — we won’t judge. There’s no shame in overly complicated Starbucks orders this Valentine's Day. Check out the Editorial Board’s favorite coffee spots in Chapel Hill and Carrboro!

Meditate

You don’t need a yoga instructor or a fancy yoga mat to practice mindfulness! Taking just two minutes out of your day to sit in silence, reflect on your emotions and do breathing exercises can go a long way. 

Positive affirmations

Speaking your positive affirmations is a great way to feel happier and more productive. Remind yourself of three things that you accomplished during the day before you go to bed! Close the day off feeling more self-assured than when you started it. 

Journal

Journaling can take many different forms – there’s no wrong way to do it! Bullet journaling can help you track habits and set goals, while a journal can be an amazing space for creative writing. Gratitude lists have been proven to help you be healthier, build relationships and overcome problems. No matter how you decide to journal, it’s a good way to take a break from essays and papers.

Listen to a new podcast 

Finding a new podcast is as precious as finding a seat in Lenoir at lunchtime. From true crime to history and politics, there are so many different genres to explore. While you're at it, check out the DTH’s podcasts: Heel Talk and Chill on the Hill.

Have a dance party for one!

The semester is getting busier and busier, and you’re probably spending a lot of time sitting down. But it’s important to get your body moving for a little while each day. So put on your favorite playlist and dance around in your room for a couple of songs! May we suggest some of our 2020 favorites?

Whether you’re back in the classroom or still remotely learning, we can all benefit from these simple self-care routines. 

Happy wellness days, Tar Heels!

@dthopinion

opinion@dailytarheel.com