UNC receives graduate education award for focus on diversity and inclusion

DSS Kathy GSC Original.JPG
Maria Dykema Erb and Kathy Wood of the UNC Graduate School's Diversity and Student Success department host a Writing Wednesday work session on November 7, 2018 in Chapel Hill, NC. Photo courtesy of Jeyhoun Allebaugh/UNC-Chapel Hill

The Educational Testing Service and Council of Graduate Schools recognized UNC for its work with minority students through the Diversity and Student Success program last week.

First awarded in 2009, the ETS/CGS Award for Innovation in Promoting Success in Graduate Education: From Admission through Completion is worth $20,000 over the span of two years, and must be matched by $10,000 from the winning institution. It is bestowed upon a school with promising efforts in either beginning or furthering graduate education, with an emphasis on programs with a special interest in diversity and inclusion.

In UNC's proposal, Dean of the Graduate School Suzanne Barbour collaborated with the Director of Diversity and Student Success Kathy Wood to highlight the DSS program, which focuses on helping graduate students from underrepresented groups make connections and form community. 

“You go into your department, and you’re the only one of your culture — this can be very isolating,” Barbour said.

Carolina Grad Student F1RSTS, Global Grads, Initiative for Minority Excellence, Military-Affiliated Grads and Queer Graduate and Professional Students are the five initiatives within DSS aimed at promoting diversity and inclusion. The Summer Undergraduate Pipeline program is an initiative aimed at recruitment.

Wood said she founded DSS in August 2014 when she had a research grant to work with students of color. 

“Undergraduates get a lot of attention through student affairs, as they should," Wood said. "Graduate students don’t get the same services, yet they still needed things. We said: ‘Let’s define diversity broadly, and let’s build initiatives around that.’” 

Over the years, new groups were given homes in DSS according to students’ needs, Wood said. 

Each initiative hosts at least one professional development and one social event per semester, but there are usually many more than just the required two, Wood said. 

Guan Wang, a doctoral student of applied developmental science, said she has participated in various events through DSS — such as Virtual Writing Wednesdays where she received help with academic writing materials. She has also attended events aimed at improving resumes and cover letters. Additionally, Wang said she has participated in social events where she mingled with peers while enjoying free food.

Wang came to the United States from northeast China in 2013 for her master’s degree at the University of Pennsylvania. After arriving at UNC for her doctorate, she said she found DSS was one way for her to connect with people in both an academic and social sense. 

“I think they have some really interesting programs, and I can see that they work hard to design programs for the students,” she said. “Events are usually in manageable groups, around 20 or 30 people.”

During the pandemic, DSS events have shifted to a virtual format, and they are still very well attended. In addition to aiding in professional and social growth, Wood said, they also hold events aimed at personal development — such as hosting speakers, addressing imposter syndrome and personal finances.

Wood said students are encouraged to partake in as many initiatives as they see fit. 

“We recognize the intersectionality of our students,” Wood said.

But at the same time, she said, if they feel that they do not belong to any of the initiatives, they are still invited to participate and seek support. DSS has helped a number of parents, caregivers and students with disabilities, even though there are not initiatives for these specific groups.

With the grant money, Wood hopes to work with the graduate school’s various departments to create a more inclusive community as a whole. To accomplish this goal, Wood said DSS will host at least one summit every year where the learning communities of the departments can unite with their diverse students.

“We have communities within ourselves, but how wonderful would it be to have a community that consists of departments and students?” Wood said.