After a long journey, Angel Zarate has willed his way into key role for UNC baseball

20210227_Cruz_baseballuva-494.jpg
Redshirt sophomore outfielder Angel Zarate (40) goes up to bat in a game against University of Virginia on Saturday, Feb. 27, 2021 at Boshamer Stadium. The Tar Heels beat the Cavaliers 2-1.

It was an all-too-familiar sight to George Barber. 

Almost every time the high school baseball coach drove through his neighborhood in Reidsville, North Carolina, he’d spot a group of boys playing in their front yard. Football, soccer, baseball — it didn’t matter. The Zarate brothers were always dialed in.

But for Angel, it was almost destined that baseball would be his true love. His father, Carlos, had played professionally in Mexico and ostensibly implanted a natural feel for the game within his son. 

“My dad said he always put everything in my left hand so I could be a lefty,” Zarate said. 

But before becoming a key contributor on the North Carolina baseball team — helping lead UNC to a No. 14 ranking in head coach Scott Forbes' first year at the helm — Zarate had to conquer the high school ranks. 

In 2014, that left-handed kid from the neighborhood front yard stood in the outfield at Barber’s varsity tryouts for Rockingham County High School. After years of drive-by scouting, Barber wanted to see what Zarate was made of, so he hit him a shot deep into the gap. 

Zarate caught the ball in full stride. 

“He was almost floating on air,” Barber said. “And I thought, ‘Man, this kid will never step foot on a JV field.’”

At the high school level, it wouldn’t take long for Zarate to make an impact. In his first season, he led Rockingham County to the Mid-State 3-A Conference Tournament Championship, going 10-13 at the plate in the tournament’s three games and batting .362 for the season. 

In his sophomore season, Zarate got even better. He swung at and missed only two pitches and was well on his way to breaking the school’s single-season batting average record. 

Such an occasion would typically warrant a celebration for an individual etching his name in the record books, standing above and beyond those around him. But in this case, there was an unusual wrinkle. The former record — a more-than-respectable .523 mark — was set by Barber 20 years earlier. 

Zarate finished the year hitting .543, giving him bragging rights over his skipper. 

“He said, ‘Coach, what are you going to do when I break your record?’” Barber said. “And I said that I’m going to smile and shake your hand because I’m going to get to see you the next two years.”

'I just went off'

Although Zarate had received offers from several mid-major schools by the end of his junior year, his dream was to play for North Carolina. 

Despite his high school accolades, Zarate wasn’t considered a top-tier recruit, so he figured his chances of stepping foot in Chapel Hill were slim. Nevertheless, he asked his coach to contact the storied program. 

A few emails were exchanged, but the process was kickstarted when Rockingham County assistant Jeff Hamilton talked directly to Forbes, then a longtime assistant at UNC, at Boshamer Stadium. 

“I remember it like it was yesterday,” Forbes said. “His coach said, ‘This kid can really, really hit, is athletic and a great kid.’”

In the summer of 2016, Forbes paid a visit to a North Carolina high school all-star game, and Zarate didn’t disappoint. 

“I just went off,” Zarate said. “Then, as soon as he called and asked me to come on a visit, I knew it was a done deal. There was no other place I wanted to go.”

'Put his head down and worked'

It might have only been the first game of his collegiate career, but Zarate was already in a seemingly comfortable spot.

When the team traveled for a series against South Florida to open the 2018 season, Zarate started the second game and batted fifth. 

But he quickly realized the difference between high school and college ball. The first-year struck out twice in two at bats.

Zarate wouldn’t start another game that season, nor the next. In his first two years, the small-town North Carolina legend who once shattered his high school’s hitting records was playing sparingly and collected only one hit in 17 tries. 

Hoping to rediscover his old form, Zarate took up summer ball for the High Point-Thomasville HiToms, a team composed of college players in the Coastal Plain League. During his time with the team, Zarate was reminded of a simple concept: baseball is supposed to be fun.

“It’s baseball, you’re going to fail seven out of 10 times,” Zarate said. “So not being so hard on myself and playing relaxed definitely helped.” 

Not only did his summer in the Coastal Plain League boost Zarate's morale, it also helped him make a series of adjustments at the plate. He no longer solely focused on making contact, and instead was more committed to driving the ball around the field. Additionally, he started to take note of how opposing pitchers would approach his at bats. 

“When he wasn’t playing, he would just be in the cages nonstop,” UNC outfielder Dallas Tessar said. “He wouldn’t say much, wouldn’t complain — he just put his head down and worked.” 

Nearly two years after his debut, Zarate’s offseason commitment allowed him to become the 2020 opening-day left fielder against Middle Tennessee State. Equipped with some new tools, he turned in a 2-5 performance with two RBIs. 

As the season went on, Zarate wouldn’t let up. He led the Tar Heels with a .408 batting average through 19 games and appeared well on his way to an All-ACC selection and potentially working his way onto MLB draft boards. 

But then, he received the call that went out to every spring athlete across the nation. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, his breakout season was over.

“It was definitely a bummer,” Zarate said. “A few of my teammates not only knew it was a big year for the draft, but we were also focused on winning the ACC Championship and going to Omaha (for the College World Series).”

Though Zarate's hard work wouldn't come to fruition as fast as he expected, when the summer rolled around, he picked up right where he left off. With gyms closed, he did body workouts at home while conducting modified hitting and throwing drills. 

And for all of the work he did, everything was done with an objective in mind.  

"If you do all of those with a purpose and intent, then you're gonna be all right," Zarate said. 

This season, Zarate has been the engine that has sparked the Tar Heels’ 10-4 start. Through March 15, he's hitting .320, and dating back to 2019, he has reached base in 34 consecutive games — an essential trait for a leadoff hitter. 

With the Tar Heels climbing the ladder in the ACC standings, the team will have a lot to play for in the coming months. Zarate will play a major role in determining just how far the Tar Heels go.

And although he's too modest to say this directly, if Zarate can continue his ascent, the hard-working kid from Rockingham County could be showcasing his smooth lefty swing for years to come.    

“He’s one of the best pure hitters I’ve seen,” Tessar said. “There’s no saying where it could end for him.”

@nelsonhunter_