UNC men's golf team finishes fourth out of 15 teams at General Hackler Championship

UNC MEN'S GOLF

First year Peter Fountain completes a swing at the Chapman Center in Chapel Hill, NC on Wednesday, Jan. 15, 2020. Photo courtesy of Jeff Camarati for UNC Athletic Communications. 

The North Carolina men's golf team had an impressive showing at the V1 Sports General Hackler Championship in Myrtle Beach, S.C. which finished on Tuesday, with the Tar Heels finishing fourth out of a field of 15 teams with a combined score of 4-over-par.

The Tar Heels looked to repeat their success after winning the 2020 General Hackler last March — the team's last tournament of 2020.

On the first day, UNC came out of the gates hot, finishing with a combined 11-under-par 277 to end the day at second place behind Louisville. Six Tar Heels finished the round under par, including first-years Austin Greaser and Peter Fountain. Greaser shot a 5-under-par 67 to end the day tied for fourth alongside sophomore Ryan Burnett, who competed as an individual entry.

Fountain, meanwhile, closed day one at a 3-under-par 69, making him part of a five-way tie for 11th.

Day two saw the Tar Heels mostly maintain their solid play but slip in the rankings, ending the day in third place behind N.C. State and North Florida. Greaser and Fountain both shot even scores of 72 to put them in sixth place and a three-way tie for ninth place, respectively. Senior Austin Hitt shot a two-over-par 74 to finish the day tied for 17th, also alongside Burnett, who slid down the leaderboards after shooting a five-over-par 77.

UNC continued to play well on the final day, but couldn't stop themselves from falling to fourth by tournament's end. Greaser had his worst round of the competition — 2-over-par 74 — but still managed to finish tied for fifth. Hitt climbed up the leaderboard to finish tied for 11th alongside Fountain, who also shot his worst round of the tournament with a 3-over-par 75.

For most of the competition, the first-year tandem of Greaser and Fountain led the way for the Tar Heels. Though Greaser finished the tournament eight strokes behind of victor Nick Gabrelcik of North Florida, he was still able to crack top-five placement.

Meanwhile, Fountain's 3-over final round saw him drop out of the top ten and finish the tournament even, 11 strokes out of the lead. 

The Tar Heels, overall, also had a solid team performance. Junior Dougie Ergood finished in a five-way tie for 39th place with a 7-over-par score. Because of him, out of a field of 90 golfers, four Tar Heels — Greaser, Hitt, Fountain and Ergood — finished in the top 40.

The team leaderboard was still primed for a shakeup as the last day of the tournament rolled around. This shakeup wasn't in favor of the Tar Heels, though. After a second-place finish on day one and a third-place finish in day two, the team fell one more spot, with Louisville's combined final round edging out the Tar Heels.

The General Hackler Championship came near the midpoint of this season, with only two tournaments remaining before the ACC Championship in late April. With this fourth-place finish, UNC has yet to finish in the bottom half of a tournament this year, showing how competitive this team and its young stars can be — and will need to be — come championship season.

The team's next competition is the Tar Heel Intercollegiate, set to take place at the UNC Finley Golf Course in Chapel Hill. The competition begins on Saturday, March 27.

@pjdaman12