Editorial: Let's make Davis Library loud again

20200607_Katsanis_davis.JPG

The entrance to Davis Library on Sunday, June 7, 2020.

Coming back to campus this fall has been hard. From delayed buses, overwhelming heat and rising COVID-19 cases, the return to on-campus instruction has tested us. 

But one of the greatest hardships is the culture of Davis Library. What was once a bustling community of talkers has fallen silent. We’ve lost a lot to COVID-19, but we won’t let this pandemic take away all of our sacred traditions. It is time to restore balance to Davis Library. 

We understand that younger UNC students haven’t had an in-person Davis experience before. But this is a moment of intergenerational learning: the first floor of Davis Library is supposed to be social. Talk with your friends. Work on your group project. We don’t really care, just speak. 

The Editorial Board has come together to share our suggestions on making Davis the place we remember. Here are some of the Board’s ideas:

Start a flash mob

We are begging you to pull James Corden and Camila Cabello's energy and dance your heart out. If you wanted to dawn a mouse costume and Cinderella dress, we wouldn’t be mad. Get wild and release your inner theatre kid at the Denny's after the show (cue “Unwritten”, by Natasha Bedingfield). 

Bring back Bryce Hall

Maybe there is a fraternity (or at the very least, some orientation leaders) willing to fight him, even if he just wants to party and vlog. Either way, it would make for a good TikTok.

Go streaking

It may not be LDOC, but I’m sure plenty of eager first-years will love an impromptu streaking through the library (and UNC Barstool probably will, too). Make up for those last couple days of class being spent over Zoom tonight. 

Pay homage to Spider-Man

UNC’s seniors may have a recollection of the horde of individuals dressed in Spider-Man latex suits roamed all of UNC’s libraries a few years ago. Feel free to follow in their footsteps and show up to the library decked out in your Spider-Man gear, at the risk of being exposed to UNC Tiktok.

Complain loudly about your professors on the phone with your mom — maybe even cry.

Need we say more? We could all use a little more drama in our lives.

Open a new family business from Davis

Tar Heel born, Tar Heel bred, Tar Heel dead. They don’t call us the Carolina Family for nothing. There are plenty of fantastic local businesses that have bloomed from family lines in Chapel Hill, such as Italian Pizzeria III. Channel your inner business major and you could be the next business to stake claims at the Bottom of Lenoir.

Bring your loud snacks

Yes, we can vouch that it is possible to sneak potato chips under your mask and still be able to hear the crunch several feet away. Doritos, Hot Cheetos, and baby carrots are all things that we used to bring without a second thought to the first floor of Davis, but wouldn’t be caught dead having in Wilson Library. What’s really changed?

Start conversations

It’s admittedly more difficult to recognize people with a mask covering half their face — but odds are, if you think that person sitting across from you is Jessica from your orientation group three years ago, it might be. Worst comes to worst, you’ve mistaken her for someone who looks (in your defense, of course) exactly the same, but made a new friend. It’s easier than conversing over Zoom, anyway.

Form annoying cliques and claim tables as your territory!

Finding space on the lower floors of Davis is a free-for-all. Get your squad together and get those tables. Nothing was better than the social experience of walking through the first floor of Davis pre-pandemic. Remember: the first floor of Davis is where communities were built. Let’s keep that tradition alive.

Join a Facebook Event to make Davis loud again

If you’re really aching for some new friends (we know it’s been a while), head onto Facebook and find some events in student groups that are organizing to make the first floor loud again. Bring your outdoor voice, because — let’s face it, we’re desperate.

We can be honest — nobody really went to the first floor of Davis to study. Let’s keep it that way.

@dthopinion

opinion@dailytarheel.com