Thursday October 21st

Five-star defensive lineman and top-five 2022 recruit Travis Shaw commits to UNC football

<p>Kenan Memorial Stadium is named after William Rand Kenan Sr., the commander of a white supremacist unit that murdered at least 25 Black people in the Wilmington Massacre of 1898.&nbsp;</p>
Buy Photos Grimsley High School senior Travis Shaw has committed to play football at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill on Saturday August 21, 2021.

Travis Shaw — a 247 Sports five-star recruit and a top-five overall recruit nationwide in the class of 2022 — committed to join the North Carolina football team Saturday on CBS Sports HQ.

In Shaw, UNC has secured its second highest-rated recruit since 247 Sports began ranking recruits, and is the highest-ranked recruit since defensive tackle Marvin Austin from the class of 2009. He's also the third five-star recruit UNC has obtained in as many years, joining class of 2020 defensive back Tony Grimes and class of 2021 defensive lineman Keeshawn Silver.

A 6-foot-5, 310-pound senior at Grimsley High School in Greensboro, Shaw had narrowed his options down to three schools — Clemson, Georgia and North Carolina. Most of 247's experts had predicted Shaw would join head coach Mack Brown in Chapel Hill.

In addition to being a top-five recruit, Shaw is also listed as the No. 1 recruit from North Carolina and the No. 2 defensive lineman in the country in his class.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this article referred to UNC football player Keeshawn Silver as a running back. He is a defensive lineman. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for this error.

@pjdaman12

Welcome Back Edition 2021