Wednesday October 20th

UNC identifies COVID-19 cluster in Avery Residence Hall

A student puts her COVID-19 test in the tube at the Rams Head Recreation CTTP testing site on Jan. 19, 2021.
Buy Photos A student puts her COVID-19 test in the tube at the Rams Head Recreation CTTP testing site on Jan. 19, 2021.

The University has identified a COVID-19 cluster in Avery Residence Hall, according to a notification from UNC Saturday. There are currently five active cases in the cluster.

This is the second cluster notification from UNC this school year. The first was sent on Aug. 11 for a cluster of six COVID-19 cases related to an outdoor event at the Eshelman School of Pharmacy.

On Friday, the University deployed an on-site testing team for two hours in Avery because four residents had tested positive for COVID-19 since move-in began, according to a Carolina Housing email sent to Avery residents.

At that point, it was not identified as a cluster because UNC uses the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services definition for a cluster — "five or more cases that are deemed close proximity in location."

The University worked with the Orange County Health Department in conducting on-site testing as a measure to test residents quickly and mitigate COVID-19 spread.

On-site testing is not done for all cases at UNC, according to UNC Media Relations. Campus Health evaluates each situation with OCHD to determine the best response.

@praveenavsoma

Welcome Back Edition 2021