UNC field hockey tops Penn, brings record back to .500

20201030_Alvarado_FieldHockey-188.jpg

DTH File. Senior midfielder, Eva Smolenaars, at the game against Wake Forest on Friday, Oct. 30, 2020.

Fueled by a record-setting day from senior forward Erin Matson, the North Carolina field hockey team routed Penn 9-1 on Sunday to go 2-0 over the weekend. 

After a slow offensive start against Princeton on Saturday, the Tar Heels picked up the pace against Princeton, scoring three goals in the first quarter and two in the second quarter. 

Matson’s goal in the fourth minute of the game got the UNC offensive attack started. The Tar Heels stayed hot on offense after Matson’s goal, as Matson assisted senior midfielder Eva Smolenaars on a goal in the seventh minute and assisted freshman midfielder Lisa Slinkert on a goal in the ninth minute. 

Matson added two goals of her own in the second quarter off assists from senior forward Hannah Griggs and junior back Madison Orobono. 

The UNC defense also produced a strong first-half performance, allowing Penn zero shots on goal and helping the Tar Heels take a 5-0 in to the halftime. 

Penn scored the second half’s first goal in the 31st minute, but UNC responded by going on a 3-0 scoring run sparked Matson’s goal in the 33rd minute off an assist from Katie Dixon. 

Freshman forward Kennedy Cligget scored shortly after in the 36th minute off an assist from senior forward Meredith Sholder, followed by a goal from senior midfielder Cassie Sumfest in the 38th minute. The Tar Heels’ scoring streak put them up 8-1. Slinkert’s goal in the 54th minute gave UNC the 9-1 victory.   

Matson’s four goals made her the program’s career leader in goals and points. Matson also contributed two assists. 

As a whole, the UNC defense stood out by playing suffocating defense and only allowing Penn three shots the entire game. 

The only time Penn showed any sign of making a comeback was when they scored early to start the second half. UNC quickly shut the door on any comeback opportunity by scoring three goals within five minutes of each other shortly after Penn’s lone goal. 

After starting the season with an 0-2 record for the first time in almost 30 years, the team found itself in an unfamiliar scenario. Considering their championship pedigree, however, losing early regular season games proved not be be a permanent issue.

The win against Penn puts UNC back at an even 2-2 record heading into a two-game road trip starting Friday. The win also serves as a momentum and confidence builder after losing those first two games of the season. 

UNC also gained some rhythm on the offensive end, which struggled to score in the first two games of the season. This will help them in their next matchup against a Saint Joseph’s team with a stout defense. 

The Tar Heels’ next game is at Saint Joseph’s on Friday at 4 p.m.