A guide to Coming Out Day events on campus this week

20211011_Wilder_LGBTQ-1.jpg

Junior environmental studies major Nikalus Ward and senior biology major Rowan Merritt talk to patrons that visited the coming-out-day table in the Pit on Oct. 11. The event was sponsored by UNC's LGBTQ Center. 

Here are some of the events happening on campus this week to celebrate National Coming Out Day on Oct. 11.  

National Coming Out Day at the LGBTQ Center

The LGBTQ Center hosted a table in The Pit from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m Monday. 

On Tuesday at 5:30 p.m., Director of the LGBTQ Center Dr. Terri Phoenix will be hosting an LGBTQ Speaker Series "'Queers Read This!' A Call To Action" Register at the Zoom Link here.

And QGAPS Social's bi-monthly gathering for LGBTQIA+ graduate and professional students will be held on Thursday from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. The event will be in-person.

The Center After Dark: National Coming Out Week event will be located at the LGBTQ Center in SASB South Suite 3308 on Wednesday from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. All LGBTQ people are welcome to come paint canvases with pride flags and whatever they want to express their identities. Masks are required. 

The Safe Zone program will be hosting an allyship training Thursday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Register by Monday. 

"Coming out can be affirming for people," Phoenix told The Daily Tar Heel. "There are people who can’t come out because of employment or custody issues, members of multiple marginalized identities, multiple risks. For me, the fact that I could come out felt like a really important act I could do."

Queer and Trans People of Color

A QTPOC Gathering for LGBTQIA+ graduate and professional students of color will be on Monday from 7 p.m. to 8p.m.

UNC Sexuality and Gender Alliance 

SAGA is hosting a celebration for National Coming Out Day in the main academic quad Monday from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.

If your organization is hosting an event or offering resources to LGBTQ+ community members for Coming Out Day, please email university@dailytarheel.com to have information added to this article.