Column: How we made our Chapel Hill and Carrboro election endorsements

rajee headshot.jpg
Opinion Editor Rajee Ganesan explains how the Editorial Board made its endorsements.

Early voting for Orange County municipal elections began last week on Oct. 14 and is open to all registered Orange County voters. This comes as an alternative to voting absentee by mail or in person on Election Day. Same-day voter registration is available at all early voting sites.

After interviewing all candidates running for election in Orange County's municipal elections and for the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools Board of Education, Opinion Desk management and the Editorial Board — made up of eight undergraduate and graduate students — have made their endorsements for each position. 

The positions we endorsed for included: Chapel Hill and Carrboro Mayor, Town Council and CHCSS Board of Education. We considered endorsements from local leaders and advocacy organizations in Orange County.

We developed questions based on a variety of topics, including: 

• Town unity
  • Climate change
  • Transportation
  • Housing and development
  • Collaboration with UNC
  • Diversity, equity and inclusion

Following the recorded interviews with each candidate, which are available for listening with our endorsements, we came together as a desk, listened to interviews and rated each individual on each of these topics. 

The highest rated candidates were then discussed, and a final decision was made upon who would be the best contender for each position. Given the number of seats available, we encourage you to listen to our interviews and vote based upon whose values align most closely with your own. 

Early voting for the Chapel Hill and Carrboro government elections ends on Oct. 30. The absentee request deadline is on Oct. 26. Election Day is on Nov. 2.

We believe that these candidates would make excellent members for each position being voted on during the Orange County municipal elections. We urge you, if eligible, to vote in municipal elections in the upcoming month and support our local government.