Thursday January 20th

Word on the Street: What's the best thing that happened to you this semester?

Dylan Melisaratos (middle), a senior Business Administration major, poses for a portrait with his friends James Toole and Matthew Sullivan at the Old Well on Monday, Nov. 29, 2021.
Buy Photos Dylan Melisaratos (middle), a senior Business Administration major, poses for a portrait with his friends James Toole and Matthew Sullivan at the Old Well on Monday, Nov. 29, 2021.

Staff writer Hadley Chapman asked UNC students: “What’s the best thing that happened to you this semester?”

Matt Sullivan, senior economics and environmental studies major 

"My favorite part of this semester has been seeing the arts coming back to Chapel Hill. Everything from concerts at Cat's Cradle, to student photographers and their work, it's been awesome to see the creative side of Chapel Hill again. Even the little things like listening to a student band before a football game has made this semester so much more fun."

Lilly Gornto, first-year biology major 

"My favorite part of this semester was watching the leaves change colors. UNC’s campus is beautiful regardless, but there’s something special about seeing all the fall leaves as you’re walking to class."

Jessica Igollo-Ogele, first-year nursing and psychology major  

"I think the best thing that’s happened to me this semester is my first year seminar because it was so easy to make friends in a smaller setting and it really showed me how small UNC can become if I try to put myself out there."

Erin Ma, first-year computer science major 

"I don’t think there would be a specific thing or event that was the “best thing,” but I think the best thing about this semester is how open everyone on campus has been. Because of everyone’s friendliness, it was easier for me to interact with everyone and make more friends and therefore make Carolina more enjoyable."

Mike Hostutler, first-year public policy major

"The best thing that happened to me this semester was meeting all the people on my hall and making new friends."

Dylan Melisaratos, senior business administration major 

"Quite honestly, the return to campus for class, football games and basketball games was the best thing that happened to me this semester. Being able to make new friends and see friends who I had not met over the past year made me really appreciate UNC for what it is and makes me a bit nostalgic as I enter my final semester here as a senior."

Arden Riddle, junior history major 

"I would say the best thing that happened this semester was when we won the Wake Forest game! Getting to storm the field was so fun."

The Daily Tar Heel for December 1, 2021