Cheri Beasley's U.S. Senate campaign gains momentum after Cooper endorsement

“She tells her own stories,” Orange County Board of Commissioners Chairperson Renee Price said.

09082021_Westra_university-cheri-beasley-event-0908-4.jpg
Former Chief Justice and Senate candidate Chery Beasley answers student questions in the pit on Sept. 8, hosted by the UNC Young Democrats.

On Jan. 12, Gov. Roy Cooper endorsed Cheri Beasley's U.S. Senate campaign, which recently fundraised over $2.1 million in donations.  

Cooper appointed Beasley to be chief justice of the North Carolina Supreme Court in 2019, making her the first Black woman to serve in that role. She announced her Senate candidacy in April and has since gathered support from various state leaders. 

"As someone who knows what it takes to win, I can tell you Cheri’s got it," Cooper said in a press release. "She’s honest and trustworthy and she’ll put in the hard work necessary to fight for the people of North Carolina."

Beasley said in an email that she is running for Senate to pursue justice for North Carolinians.  

“As a wife, mother of twin sons who are college students, former public defender, former judge and Chief Justice of the NC Supreme Court, I’ve dedicated my life to the pursuit of justice," she said. "I’m running for the U.S. Senate to fight every day for the people of our state."

Renee Price, chairperson of the Orange County Board of Commissioners, said she believes Beasley's background as chief justice will benefit North Carolinians. 

Price endorsed Beasley and knows her to have a forward-thinking view on decision-making and policy from her time on the N.C. Supreme Court, where she created initiatives for items like criminal justice reform. 

If elected, Price said, Beasley will work on issues that are important to her, such as voting rights.

“North Carolinians know that there is so much at stake in this election," Beasley said in an email. "From lowering costs, to protecting our fundamental rights, reforming student debt and addressing climate change.”

Former Carrboro Mayor Lydia Lavelle, who is a professor at the N.C. Central University School of Law, said she has experience working with Beasley as an attorney and judge — and did not hesitate to endorse her.

“To bring that additional skill set as someone who understands the law, understands how you can affect change through law, (is) just another strong asset that she brings to her campaign," Lavelle said. 

Price said she thinks Beasley has seen success in reaching people with her relatability. 

“She tells her own stories,” Price said. “She can relate to people, and people can relate to her.” 

Kate Frauenfelder, communications director for the N.C. Democratic Party, said in an email that the Beasley campaign is strong and unified. 

“While NCDP does not get involved in Democratic primaries, it’s clear that the party is strong, unified, and ready to take on whichever candidate emerges from the battle on the other side," she said in an email. 

Price said it is beneficial to have people from different backgrounds in office. 

“I’m looking forward to having a smart, intelligent, experienced woman to represent us,” she said. “We need different voices in government.”

Beasley’s character has also resonated with many of her endorsers. 

“She is a down-to-earth person," Lavelle said. "Hardworking, smart, very organized, and she will show up and she will speak for the people of North Carolina when she’s in the United States Senate.” 

Beasley said she plans to keep working hard until Election Day on Nov. 8. 

“We are going to keep visiting with people across the state," she said in an email. "From houses of worship to college campuses, backyards and beyond to truly listen to their needs and work to earn their vote."