Column: Lessons from streaking in Davis Library

Streaking in Davis Attitude  (5).jpg
The stairs from the first floor to the second floor of Davis Library are pictured on Monday, Jan. 10, 2022. On the night before final exams, many students streak down these stairs and out to the Pit.

I can neither confirm nor deny that I was a part of the seventy or so group of people that streaked in Davis Library on Dec. 2, 2021. 

Hypothetically, if I did streak, it might have been the single greatest adrenaline rush I’ve ever experienced. I might have loved hearing all those people — hundreds, as you saw, if you were there — cheering me on. I might have become the coolest person in my friend group.

I also may have been extremely out of breath because I didn’t realize how much running it would involve. 

Hypothetically, almost everyone I told was shocked, because I don’t appear to be the type of person who would participate in the age-old tradition of streaking Davis. 

I’m the designated driver. I wear t-shirts everywhere. I always have Advil and Band-Aids with me. I am that friend. 

But that is exactly it: Any and every type of person can streak Davis. Any type of person is able to fully seize the day and just go for it, whatever that might mean. 

Last month, I (hypothetically) forgot about my insecurities, threw myself into the moment and just went for it. I did something I’d been thinking about since I was a freshman, and I don’t regret it. 

I’d like to tell you to “just say yes to everything,” like Jennifer Garner in that cheesy Netflix movie "Yes Day", but that’s not realistic. In a world that is still dominated by COVID-19 and filled with injustice and inequality, there are too many things we don’t even get a choice about and too many things we have to say no to. 

That’s why it is so important to seize the opportunities we do have and make the most of what is right in front of us. 

You can streak Davis with me! Or, you know, do whatever is equivalent for you. You can engage fully with the world around you and step out of your comfort zone (in a safe way) without worrying what other people think of you. They’ll probably admire you for it. 

I only have three semesters left at UNC, and I’m going into 2022 ready to make the absolute most of it. It may not be the best year of my life, but it doesn’t need to be. I’m just going to make sure that 2022 is the best that it can be. 

It’s a simple concept, but it’s not easy. Streaking Davis is not easy. You can do it, and I promise you won’t regret it. 

This semester, you’ll find me at basketball games, studying outside when the weather is nice and drinking coffee with my wonderful friends. You’ll find me in a couple of religion classes, talking too much and being what a former TA affectionately called “arrogant.” You’ll find me at the parties the violin section throws after orchestra concerts (I’ll probably be the designated driver). 

And 11:59 p.m. on April 28, you’ll find me on the eighth floor of Davis, wearing a UNC baseball cap and a surgical mask, ready to streak. Again. 

@dthopinion

opinion@dailytarheel.com