Dawson Garcia to miss remainder of 2021-22 basketball season due to family illnesses

20210929_McGinnis_mensbballpractice-8.jpg
Sophomore forward Dawson Garcia (13) runs with the ball at the UNC men's basketball practice on Sept. 29 at the Dean Dome.

Sophomore transfer forward Dawson Garcia will miss the remainder of the 2021-22 UNC men's basketball season due to medical issues within his family, the team announced Thursday.

Transferring to North Carolina from Marquette after his first-year season, Garcia has averaged nine points and 5.5 rebounds in the 16 games he played for the Tar Heels. He has missed the team's last six games due to family illnesses and missed two games in January following a concussion suffered against Boston College on Jan. 2.

Garcia said in a statement that he lost multiple family members in the past year. He also said his father came close to passing away in December, while his grandmother is still in intensive care.

"As much as I love this University and basketball, being in the middle of a health crisis is where our family is right now and it's where I need to be," Garcia said.

Head coach Hubert Davis wished the family well, and said the program looks forward to Garcia's return at the appropriate time.

"I love coaching Dawson and understand his primary concern right now is his family's health and welfare, and his focus continues to be with them as it should be," Davis said.

@pjdaman12