Certified candidates for UNC student body president announced

Candidates for Student Body President (1).jpg

Sage Staley, Sam Robinson, Teddy Vann and Ethan Phillips are candidates for student body president for the 2021-2022 school year. Photos by Ira Wilder. 

The certified candidates running for student body president in the Spring 2022 general election are Ethan Phillips, Sage Staley, Sam Robinson and Taliajah "Teddy" Vann, the UNC Board of Elections announced Friday.

Student body president candidates had to collect at least 1,000 unique petition signatures to be on the ballot, the BOE said.

Election Day will be held this Tuesday.

Other candidates may run as write-ins but are required to comply with all BOE election regulations, which include completing the training mechanism found on the BOE’s Heel Life page.

Several student body president candidates' platforms focus on increased transparency of University leadership decision-making, incorporation of diverse perspectives and experiences in campus spaces, as well as student accessibility and mental health resources.

The student body president serves as a representative for all undergraduate, graduate and professional students. In addition to being an executive officer of student government, the student body president also serves as an ex-officio voting member on the UNC Board of Trustees.

The elected candidate will be sworn in in April, succeeding current Student Body President Lamar Richards, who announced in December that he would not run for reelection. 

Races for Residence Hall Association president, Carolina Athletic Association president, Undergraduate Senate and senior class officers will also be on the ballot Tuesday.

Students can vote for all offices on Heel Life, and polls for student body president are open from midnight to midnight on Feb. 8 to Feb. 9. Polls for senior class officers and Undergraduate Senate will close at 8 p.m.