Sunday February 5th

UNC's field hockey's Matson, Sholder and Heck earn ACC regular season awards

UNC senior Erin Matson (1) goes for a hard drive during a field hockey game against Duke on Saturday, Oct. 29, 2022, at Jack Katz Stadium in Durham, N.C.
Buy Photos UNC senior Erin Matson (1) goes for a hard drive during a field hockey game against Duke on Saturday, Oct. 29, 2022, at Jack Katz Stadium in Durham, N.C.

UNC senior forward Erin Matson was named the ACC Offensive Player of the Year for a record-breaking fifth time when the the ACC Field Hockey season awards were announced today.  

This is yet another award for the fifth-year senior who continues to put up monumental numbers this year and broke the ACC all-time points record earlier this month.

UNC senior midfielder Meredith Sholder was named ACC Defensive Player of the Year and first-year forward Ryleigh Heck was named ACC Freshman of the Year. UNC head coach Karen Shelton was named the ACC Co-Coach of the Year alongside Wake Forest's Jennifer Averill.

Five UNC players earned All-ACC honors. Matson, Sholder and Heck were all named to the All-ACC first team while first-years Sietske Brüning and Ashley Sessa were named to the All-ACC second team.

Fresh off of a 2-0 win over rival Duke on Saturday, Oct. 29, the undefeated and top-ranked Tar Heels will return to Jack Katz Stadium in Durham for the ACC Championship this week. 

UNC will take on either Boston College or Syracuse at 1 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 2, as the team looks to add a 25th ACC Championship to its trophy case.

The Daily Tar Heel's 2023 Rivalry Edition