Kayla McPherson leads new-look starting lineup to convincing win over Boston College

20230212_Sherwood_WBBvBC-823.jpg
UNC redshirt first-year guard Kayla McPherson (14) dribbles the ball during the women's basketball game against Boston College on Sunday, Feb. 12, 2023, in Carmichael Area. The Tar Heels beat the Eagles, 73-55.

It was only Kayla McPherson's first collegiate start. But against Boston College on Sunday, the redshirt first-year commanded UNC's hodgepodge starting lineup like a seasoned vet.

After sinking her fourth 3-pointer of the game midway through the fourth quarter, McPherson turned around to several high fives from the UNC bench before making her way back to set up the defense. Among those celebrating on the bench were three of the team’s usual starters.

Plagued by injuries, junior Alyssa Ustby, redshirt senior Eva Hodgson and junior Anya Poole were out Sunday, giving them the chance to cheer their teammates on from the sideline for a change. 

In her first collegiate start, McPherson hit the ground running, scoring 10 points in the first seven minutes. Shooting 53 percent from the field, she finished as the game’s leading scorer with 22 points, as North Carolina went on to beat Boston College, 73-55.

McPherson has battled through several injuries this season herself, but she's found ways to maintain her chemistry with the team both on and off the court. Head coach Courtney Banghart said that when McPherson was facing lower body injuries, she always insisted on passing in practice to better understand her teammates’ preferences. When it was her upper body that was off-limits, Banghart said McPherson would be on the bike and watching film.

“I haven’t been playing with them for a long time, but I've been around them for so long,” McPherson said. “In practice, outside of practice — we're always together. So, that was one thing for me that didn't have a problem with was chemistry.”

Junior Alexandra Zelaya also started her first college game on Sunday, and with it logged a career high number of assists and steals, recording five and two, respectively. Redshirt first-year Teonni Key was the third player to fill in for the typical starters. She put up six points for the Tar Heels in her first career start. 

With so many younger players on the court, Banghart applauded the adaptability of veteran starters like juniors Kennedy Todd-Williams and Deja Kelly.

“They just love to hoop,” Banghart said. “They’ll play with whoever's in and they’ll help whoever’s in.”

Todd-Williams, who finished with 16 points and nine rebounds, said the team adjusted from previous games by being more active, both with and without the ball. With so many players stepping up this game, she said the team has “weapons all around.”

Sophomore Destiny Adams came off the bench and made things difficult for Boston College, contributing a career-high six steals. With a game total of 13 steals, Sunday marked UNC’s third game in a row with double-digit steals.

Following losses last week to Louisville and Syracuse, Banghart spoke of a lack of urgency in the Tar Heels’ play. On Sunday, she said she saw just the opposite, and attributed this change of pace to the team’s comfort levels when playing at home. 

“If all of our games were at home, they'd grow up faster. But they're not,” Banghart said. “So, we have to build on the film that will look different at Syracuse to how it looked different today, and see how, therefore, we can ensure we're moving in the right direction for Thursday.”

The Tar Heels will prepare to face No. 22 N.C. State in Raleigh on Thursday. While the statuses for Ustby and Poole for Thursday’s game are unclear, the Tar Heels have shown that they don’t have “bench players” any more – just more players than can start a game at the same time.

“It just goes back to our team and how many weapons we have,” Todd-Williams said. “Because, you know, we're all we got.”

@evemaddock