UNC women's basketball dominates Boston College, 73-55, in return to Carmichael

20230212_Sherwood_WBBvBC-1-2.jpg
UNC junior guard Kennedy Todd-Williams (3) moves the ball around Boston College junior guard JoJo Lacey (4) during the women's basketball game against Boston College on Sunday, Feb. 12, 2023, in Carmichael Area. UNC beat Boston College 73-55.

No. 14 UNC women’s basketball picked up a 73-55 win over ACC opponent Boston College after two consecutive losses.

The noon matchup at Carmichael Arena was kick started by three pointers by both Boston College and UNC, with UNC’s courtesy of junior guard Kennedy Todd-Williams. By the first media timeout, the Tar Heels led 10-5, thanks greatly to seven points from redshirt first year Kayla McPherson, who was a perfect 3-3 in field goals. 

North Carolina went on a 12-0 run to gain a 15-5 lead and concluded the first quarter up by 11 points. The Eagles put up the first point of the second quarter with a free throw but were unable to establish a rhythm and before long, the Tar Heels were up by 19. UNC entered halftime with a 17 point lead.

A layup by Todd-Williams started the second-half scoring. Boston College then put up four consecutive points, but UNC quickly demonstrated their dominance with back-to-back three pointers by junior forward Alexandra Zelaya and Todd-Williams that forced an Eagles timeout. 

The third quarter became defined by three pointers for North Carolina, who put up four in the ten-minute period and ended the quarter up by 17.

Boston College called a timeout with seven minutes remaining in the game after UNC put up two unanswered three pointers in the first three minutes of the final quarter. Even after the timeout, the Tar Heels continued their offensive run, going 11-0 to start the fourth quarter.

The Eagles made an admirable comeback attempt, following UNC’s scoring run with a 13 point run of their own, but were unable to catch up, resulting in a 73-55 win for North Carolina. 

McPherson was a dominant leader in Sunday’s game. She made her first four field goals and went on to put up a team-high 22 points. Todd-Williams also played an important role in this win, with 16 points and nine rebounds. 

UNC came out hot, and the 12-0 run in the first quarter made it clear that the team was thriving early on in this game. With a 17 point lead at halftime, it appeared evident that the Tar Heels had secured this conference matchup win. 

North Carolina has felt the absence of Alyssa Ustby and Eva Hodgson, who are both sidelined due to injury. The team had lost two consecutive ACC matchups coming into Sunday’s game. Against Boston College, UNC was also missing Anya Poole, who suffered a shoulder injury in the loss to Syracuse. This win demonstrated that the Tar Heels are still capable of recording significant conference wins despite struggles with injury.

The Tar Heels will travel the short distance to Raleigh, N.C. on Thursday to face off against conference rival N.C. State.

@lindseyashe_