The start of a new semester comes with anticipation, fear, excitement, dread and change — themes reflected in many academia-focused stories.

UNC students and local booksellers from Golden Fig Books and Flyleaf Books recommended their favorite fictional academia books to read for the beginning of the school year.

“It's not just like, there's only this one type of book that relates to academia, or relates to schooling, anything like that," David Bradley, owner of Golden Fig Books, said. "There's a very wide breadth. So no matter what your tastes are, there's always something for you.”

Legendborn” by Tracy Deonn 

Deonn’s debut novel follows Bree Matthews, a junior in a fictional UNC early college program who stumbles upon an Arthurian secret society that may have been involved in her mother’s recent death. Because of this discovery, Bree has to navigate her grief while struggling to make her way in a system committed to upholding tradition. 

“An absolutely brilliant, searing blend of fast-paced fantasy, subversion of and dialogue with historic narratives, interrogation of Chapel Hill's violently racist legacy and all-around incredible storytelling from a local author,” Talia Smart, the floor manager at Flyleaf Books, said in an email. 

The Secret History” by Donna Tartt 

“A hallmark of the dark academia genre, the moody and atmospheric New England campus setting had me daydreaming of a college experience I had never had before wanted. Absolutely perfect autumn reading,” Liv LaMarca, a bookseller at Golden Fig Books, said in an email. 

Ninth House” by Leigh Bardugo 

This book follows Alex Stern, a high school dropout with a unique gift: she can see ghosts. 

Her ability gives her the chance to attend Yale University — with a catch. She must watch over the necromancy of Yale’s secret societies — called houses. When ghosts are suddenly stirred up, Alex believes the houses have something to do with it. 

“It is about ghosts and attics and demons, and it's very entertaining,” said Claire Sykes, publicity chair of the Student Organization for Undergraduate Literature. “But it also sort of takes you into these legacies at these private schools and how they're sort of systems of power that aren't meant to be broken by people like Alex, and it sort of takes you into like the elitism behind private universities.” 

“Babel: An Arcane History” by R.F. Kuang 

Set in the 1830s at Oxford University’s prestigious Royal Institute of Translation — also known as Babel — the story follows Robin Swift, a Chinese student brought to London by a mysterious Professor Lovell.    

In this universe, translation holds power through enchanted silver bars that amplify the lost connection between translations – a power Britain used to imperialize the world. As he dives deeper into his studies, Robin is forced to question whether he wants to support Britain's imperialist regime or stop it. 

True Biz” by Sara Nović

In their list of suggestions, Flyleaf Books said this coming-of-age novel "captures the humor, complexity and dialectical reality of growing up disabled in the United States." The story follows three main characters as their lives become intertwined with each other's personal and political crises.

“Sara Nović, a deaf educator and activist, crafts a fast-paced and charming story that highlights the multitudes of experiences specific to the Deaf community, while still inviting hearing readers into the conversation,” Jacqueline Helgans, a bookseller at Flyleaf Books, said in an email.

"All Down Darkness Wide" by Seán Hewitt 

“It's a really, really beautiful memoir about sexuality and about growing up and navigating multiple identities," Sarah Lofstrom, a graduate student in the English PhD program, said. "And it's, it's really well done and a lot of it is set in kind of a coming-of-age, educational background for this writer.” 

"Lab Girl" by Hope Jahren 

A memoir detailing the roots of Hope Jahren’s academic career as a geobiologist, Golden Fig bookseller Allie Cecil recommends “Lab Girl” as motivation to go forth and balance some equations!

"Care Work: Dreaming Disability Justice" by Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha

“A necessary read for anyone," Jamie Kovacs, the Children’s Lead Bookseller at Flyleaf Books, said in an email. "Disability justice is not often on the forefront of people's minds, but after this read it will be. My hope is that this book will encourage you to look and interact with the world differently.”  

@madisongagnon9

@dthlifestyle | lifestyle@dailytarheel.com